Trek Marlin - exposed BB?

keysound
keysound Posts: 3
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I just picked up my new 2013 Marlin and I am worried whether I have a bit missing! While the shop man was showing me the bike I noticed the left-hand crank had a bit of bare metal exposed but he said it was normal. When I got the bike home a closer look shows that the left-hand side of the BB cartridge appears exposed.

Now it seems to me there ought to be some kind of cap on here, but I can't find any pix anywhere to compare with. What do people think? I have attached a couple of pics of my own.

Thanks.

MarkH

Comments

• thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    Looks like a Shimano octalink with internal bearings. Possibly the crank could go on a bit more?
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    Looks like a Shimano octalink with internal bearings. Possibly the crank could go on a bit more?
    •Bottom Bracket VP-BC-73 cartridge looks OK.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That end cap screws into the frame, as long as it's tight that is perfectly normal (and you wouldn't know if it was tight or not from a photo!)
    Clearly not octalink as you can see that start of the square taper!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    looks totally normal.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    its looks ok

but that is a massive amount of taper showing........ I would pull the crank off and re-install just to make sure it wasn't a 16 year old that assembled the bike in the shop....
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    estampida wrote:
    its looks ok

but that is a massive amount of taper showing........ I would pull the crank off and re-install just to make sure it wasn't a 16 year old that assembled the bike in the shop....
    it is very rare that cranks have to be fitted by a bike shop on a new bike. none of the Treks (or others) I have unpacked required cranks fitting.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just shiny silver - it will be all cruddy soon and less noticeable.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • keysound
    keysound Posts: 3
    Thanks all, so far I am feeling quite reassured!
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    nicklouse wrote:
    estampida wrote:
    its looks ok

it is very rare that cranks have to be fitted by a bike shop on a new bike. none of the Treks (or others) I have unpacked required cranks fitting.

so that is a 100% guarantee for all bikes ever sold that they would never been taken off is it?..... didn't think so....

no certainties in life apart from death, and your own work
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    estampida wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    estampida wrote:
    its looks ok

so that is a 100% guarantee for all bikes ever sold that they would never been taken off is it
    Damn well near, yes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    estampida wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    estampida wrote:
    its looks ok

so that is a 100% guarantee for all bikes ever sold
    Yes as Nick states quite clearly it is a 100% guarentee that it is rare (vanishingly so - it would cost more to get them fitted at a shop than at the factory).......now stop being a bonehead!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.