Tubular tyre widths

StillGoing
StillGoing Posts: 5,211
edited July 2013 in Road buying advice
New comer to tubs and been unable to find the answer on the internet.

By mistake I've purchased some carbon tubular wheels. Rather than go through the hassle of trying to return them I've opted to give them a go, but I'm unsure what width tubs I should use with them. The rim width is 20.5mm and the only protected tubs I can find come in no less than 23mm width. Can these be used with a 20.5mm rim or am I restricted to 21mm widths? If there is no restriction on the tub width, then I assume I can also use 25mm width tubs?
I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    A wider tyre gives a better ride - more rounded on its edge when cornering.
    23mm or 25mm is pretty standard.

Make sure you know how to replace tubs on the road.
  • StillGoing
    Just to clarify then, you're saying 23mm or 25mm tubs are ok on 20.5mm width rims? I understand that 25mm give a better ride with relatively little difference to rolling resistance. On the subject of changing at the road side; do you recommend tape or glue?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Tape or glue? One of life's eternal quandaries - Tufo tape is probably the easiest to apply. As puncture resistance appears to be a priority, then definitely opt for a 25mm and it'll make a firm tyre be a little more forgiving.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,434
    my rims are 19.5, perfectly fine with 23mm tyres, could go wider

glue, not tape, vittoria mastik 1, not tape, no, no, no, not tape, glue, mastik 1, glue

for the spare, glue the tyre, let it dry fully, then fold it tight, keep it in a ziploc bag to stop rain/sweat getting to it

if you need to use it, pull off the dead one, fit the spare, pump it up hard, with the pressure there'll be enough tack to keep it secure enough to get you home in style, just don't do any extreme braking/cornering

on the left is my spare tub, the right is a conti race 28 tube, middle is a credit card sized thing
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • StillGoing
    Thanks folks. Now to learn how to unstitch and repair punctured tubs.
  • Mindermast
    Mindermast Posts: 124
    I prefer glue as well. I tried tape and when I eventually tried to pull off the tyre (flat), it was very easy. And if you have a pre-glued and pre-stretched spare tyre, changing tyres is fast and easy.

I am not sure about riding a carbon rim with a flat tubular, but it won't hurt the tubular, if you are reasonably careful. I hope, I will never have to try this, it might be quite uncomfortable.

I wonder, which tubulars are preferred by British cyclists. In Germany, the brands are Tofu, Vittoria and Conti mostly. So far, I have Conti Gatorskin and Conti Giro, no trouble yet. I have even been knocked sideways by sothing fairly big on the road at around 22 mph, can't see anything on the tyre (gatorskin in this case). Giro looks a bit old fashioned, perhaps not the best choice for carbon rims...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Don't ride on a flat tubular. A clubmate broke his disk wheel by trying to ride in on a flat in a TT.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Most tubs do not fold up that tight, tufo may but I do not know puncture resitant they are.

I am using Gator skin tubs and Pave tubs currently, these do not fold up tight at all but can fit in a saddle bag.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Mindermast wrote:
    I am not sure about riding a carbon rim with a flat tubular, but it won't hurt the tubular, if you are reasonably careful.

I'm going to have to call you out on this "...it won't hurt the tubular if....". Not buying riding on a flat tire, any flat tire, and not having it being chewed up if ridden very far.
  • StillGoing
    Most tubs do not fold up that tight, tufo may but I do not know puncture resitant they are.

I am using Gator skin tubs and Pave tubs currently, these do not fold up tight at all but can fit in a saddle bag.

That seems fine as when riding with clinchers I usually carry 2 innertubes and levers in a jersey pocket. One spare tub and no levers may actually be easier. As long as I don't get more than one flat on a run.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    You need to break the seal and get under the tub though to remove it, so some sort of implement is still going to be needed surely?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    smidsy wrote:
    You need to break the seal and get under the tub though to remove it, so some sort of implement is still going to be needed surely?

the 'implement' is called your thumbs.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I use both - Tufo tape for road tubulars because it's quick and convenient whereas I use Vittoria Mastik for CX (plus Belgian tape method) as tape alone simply isn't stong enough to cope with the fatter tyres and the bigger side forces and lack of air pressure to hold the tyre in place.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • sungod
    Imposter wrote:
    smidsy wrote:

the 'implement' is called your thumbs.

this

although i find i can blister my thumbs getting especially well-glued ones off, so i also carry one tyre lever to assist if needed (lezyne matrix, safe on cf rims, tough enough to get under the tub)
  • sungod

yeah, i only use the tufo as a spare, it's just so compact, it seems quite tough but i'd be hugely miffed if both it and the main tub were punctured beyond sealant on the same ride
  • StillGoing
    edited July 2013
    Followed your example with a Tufo spare but bought Conti Sprinters for riding. My only problem now is trying to find which valve extenders fit Conti Sprinter tubs? Anyone?

Got,my answer from my tool box. The valves are removable so Zipp extenders fit.
  • Miklosh
    Miklosh Posts: 54
    philthy3, out of interest, which wheelset did you buy?
    2012 Bottecchia Super 8Avio 105
    2007 Focus Variado 105
  • StillGoing
    I bought some 38mm Chinese ones and whilst it was a risk, they do seem pretty good. They're certainly lighter than the Mavics I've been using but then a tub is going to be lighter than a clincher. But, the supplier has a good reputation so it was worth a gamble.