Help me diagnose a creaky front end

Initialised
Initialised Posts: 3,047
edited July 2013 in The workshop
Hi,

Specialized Secteur Sport Disc, Al frame, carbon fork with discs, 2.5 months old, approx 2000 miles use.

During overgeared climbing there's a creak from the front end.

If the bike is stationary and I pull the front brake and push forward or down on the bars it'll creak.

Any ideas?
I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.

Comments

• islandman
    islandman Posts: 73
    Could be the stem/bar connection, try regreasing the stem bolts or maybe spray area with GT85 or similar to see if that changes things.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Many things it could be: process of elimination, but I'd start by taking it all apart, strip the headset out, make sure the cups are flush, service it, and put back together.
  • Initialised
    Well now the front wheel is well out of true so that'll be getting seen to soon.

Main worry is that it's a repeat of this:

http://www.evanscycles.com/help/warranty-notices
    brake bosses on carbon forks (manufactured by Advanced Group), fitted to the above mentioned models of 2011 Sirrus, Vita and Tricross bicycles, could come loose and disengage from the fork.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • gavbarron
    gavbarron Posts: 824
    Could just be a bit of moisture or dirt somewhere. Strip it all down, clean and reassemble using correct torque and it'll probably stop
  • Initialised
    Was loose brake posts, tightened them up and it's gone now.
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    Think I have the same problem - what are brake posts? Sorry for stupid question
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Brake posts are the posts that cantilever or V-brkes pivot on.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.