Canyon Ultimate AL Sizing Advice

KonkyWonky
KonkyWonky Posts: 186
edited July 2013 in Road buying advice
HI guys,

I currently ride an old Specialized Allez Sport A1 (2001), Size 50cm and am looking to upgrade to a Canyon Ultimate AL. I've measured up and put my sizes into the PPS Calculator and it is suggesting a XS.

I had a quick look at the frame geometry and I believe that this is too small, although I am far from an expert. I don't have a geometry chart for my current bike so all figures are measured by myself, based on the figures below can anyone please give some advice?

I'm 167cm tall and have a inside leg of only 75 cm which I think may be throwing the calculator off. I currently have my seatpost raised approx 12cm.

..............................Allez (50cm).........Canyon XS...........Canyon Small
Top Tube Length............53.5cm..............52.5cm................53.7cm
Seat Tube Length............54cm................47.5cm................51.5cm
Seat Tube Angle.........UNKNOWN.............73.5deg...............73.5deg
Head Tube Length..........13.5cm...............12.5cm................13.8cm
Head Tube Angle........UNKNOWN...............71deg...............71.5deg
Wheelbase.....................98cm................97.5cm................98.4cm
Stack..........................52.5cm...............52.6cm..................54cm
Reach.........................38.5cm...............36.7cm.................37.6cm
Stem...........................100cm.................80cm...................90cm
Crank Length.................170cm................165cm..................170cm
Bar Width.................... .40cm...................38cm..................40cm

Thanks in advance :)
2013 Canyon Ultimate AL 7.0
2003 Specialized Allez Sport

Comments

• Steve236
    Steve236 Posts: 212
    Don't know if you're anywhere near Kingston but Canyon have a centre there where its possible to go and try bikes out (I believe). Seems like it will be a bit hit and miss otherwise
  • KonkyWonky
    Unfortunately I'm not within travelling distance of the centre :(
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    My wife is 5ft 5" and has a XS Ultimate AL 9.0. She recently had a bike fit and the bike is exactly the right size. Don't know if thats any help, if you live nr Nottingham you can try it for size.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • KonkyWonky
    Very kind of you poppit but I'm up in Scotland.

Thanks for the offer though.
  • vortice
    vortice Posts: 244
    I thought I should be a medium, but the PPS came up with small, so I ordered small. I fretted until it arrived but it is spot on. I'm 176cm tall with inseam of 81cm. You probably would be ok on a small but XS sounds about right.
  • edten
    edten Posts: 228
    I have the current version of the AL. I'm 5'9 and have the 53. Its fits perfectly though I have a 120 stem and my leg length is pretty typical for my height. I think the 53 would be too big for you though I have no idea whether you have long legs / long torso etc. I'm normally a medium in frames but geometry on the AL means the 53 is right for me.
  • Steve236
    The stack numbers on the Allez and the XS match so maybe that's the measure to pay attention to. Reach is shorter but can be rectified by swapping the 80cm stem for a 100cm one on the XS.
  • Steve236
    Steve236 wrote:
    The stack numbers on the Allez and the XS match so maybe that's the measure to pay attention to. Reach is shorter but can be rectified by swapping the 80cm stem for a 100cm one on the XS.
    Should be mm for stem! A bike with a 100cm stem would handle a bit sluggish I'd say.
  • KonkyWonky
    The stack numbers may be the same but the crank lengths are different. The Ultimate is an aggressive frame but I am concerned that I will need to have a very high seatpost making it overly aggressive if I opt for the XS. I won't be racing, it will mainly be mid distance runs with the odd sportive thrown in.

I don't want an overly aggressive setup, but possibly not quite as relaxed as the Roadlite.
  • vortice
    vortice Posts: 244
    KonkyWonky wrote:
    The stack numbers may be the same but the crank lengths are different. The Ultimate is an aggressive frame but I am concerned that I will need to have a very high seatpost making it overly aggressive if I opt for the XS. I won't be racing, it will mainly be mid distance runs with the odd sportive thrown in.

I don't want an overly aggressive setup, but possibly not quite as relaxed as the Roadlite.

Go for a small then. It'll fit you by the look of it. While PPS for me worked perfectly there are many who went a size bigger and are happy with their choice.
  • I recently received an XS Roadlite and I feel it's a good size for me. I think the stem may need to be switched with a shorter one but then I ride with the saddle as far back as it will go.

I'm 160cm tall with a 75cm inside leg. I visited the Bike Whisperer for a new bike consultation and he recommended an XS. I've just put my stats into the PPS and it too suggested an XS.

Does that help?
  • KonkyWonky
    Thanks for that MouseJunior :)

I phoned the service centre and after giving a very helpful chap my measurements he explained either bike would be suitable. He recommened the S given I want to do mid to long distances as it will be a more relaxed geometry, for racing he would recommend the XS.

Decided to go for the S and have a nice black Ultimate AL on order, thanks for your help guys :D
  • Steve236
    KonkyWonky wrote:
    Thanks for that MouseJunior :)

I phoned the service centre and after giving a very helpful chap my measurements he explained either bike would be suitable. He recommened the S given I want to do mid to long distances as it will be a more relaxed geometry, for racing he would recommend the XS.

Decided to go for the S and have a nice black Ultimate AL on order, thanks for your help guys :D
    Excellent! Which version did you go for? I've got the 7.0 in black - I love it! I noticed some of them (7.0 included) have been reduced recently. Amazing value for that frame with full 105 and Ksyrium Wheels
  • KonkyWonky
    I went for the 7.0, like you say amazing value given the spec, particularly with the current discount.
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    Don't know if this helps I'm 5ft 8 with a 31" leg and have size small with a 110cm stem . Bike fits like a glove .
  • edten
    edten Posts: 228
    KonkyWonky wrote:

There should be plenty of steerer tube so you can raise the bars.