Titanium bikes.

ct8282
ct8282 Posts: 414
edited July 2013 in Road buying advice
What are your thoughts on the Planet X Ti bike....

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBP ... _road_bike

Good for the money? What others would you recommend up to around £2500?

Comments

• rrsodl
    rrsodl Posts: 486
    ct8282 wrote:
    What are your thoughts on the Planet X Ti bike....

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBP ... _road_bike

Good for the money? What others would you recommend up to around £2500?

It seems the frame is made by Van Nicholas. Planet X used to sell Van Nicholas frames.

Van Nichlas makes fine frames and they offer a lifetime warranty. The Enigma also has a good reputation.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    FWIW Van Nicholas don't make any frames - they're made in China. You've also got the likes of Burls and Sabbath to consider - again, frames are sourced from Chinese factories. I've no problem with Chinese-produced titanium having bought a number of custom frames directly.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    Take a look at these Qoroz; http://www.qoroz.com/
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • RRSODL wrote:
    Van Nichlas makes fine frames and they offer a lifetime warranty. The Enigma also has a good reputation.

I'd also want a lifetime warranty and I did.......

8632429638_9b5259c57d_c.jpg
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    RRSODL wrote:

I'd also want a lifetime warranty and I did.......

Looking at your signature block, is that a Lynskey then? What happened? Did you get it sorted?
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • jordan_217 wrote:

Looking at your signature block, is that a Lynskey then? What happened? Did you get it sorted?

Yeah it all got sorted no problem, had to be shipped back to the US to be fixed, came back better than new. It took a while but that was mainly thanks to customs holding it up on the way back into the UK. Both Lynskey and Primera where I got it from were really good.
  • ct8282
    jordan_217 wrote:

Yeah it all got sorted no problem, had to be shipped back to the US to be fixed, came back better than new. It took a while but that was mainly thanks to customs holding it up on the way back into the UK. Both Lynskey and Primera where I got it from were really good.

Blimey. How on earth did that happen?
  • jordan_217
    Hmmm, not good but at least your warranty was honored and you were looked after. Nice bike BTW, just followed your signature block to the pics (and the story on the broken stay :oops: )...

I'm in the early stages of finally getting the custom paint job I've been wanting for my Enigma :)
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • jordan_217 wrote:
    I'm in the early stages of finally getting the custom paint job I've been wanting for my Enigma :)

Nice, i'd be interested to see pics of that when its done.
  • ct8282
    edited July 2013
    jordan_217 wrote:
    Hmmm, not good but at least your warranty was honored and you were looked after. Nice bike BTW, just followed your signature block to the pics (and the story on the broken stay :oops: )...

Pics of your Enigma please....!!!!

I just spec'd up the Eclipse with the Camp Chorus. Comes in at 6.6kg! Wtf. They want £3300 for the build I like but I can get the parts elsewhere and shave £500 off that. Best get saving and learn how to build a bike! Lol.
  • ct8282
    ct8282 wrote:

No idea, just noticed it cleaning the bike after a ride one day.

So what would happen if a Carbon frame had such an injury??
  • jordan_217
    ct8282 wrote:
    jordan_217 wrote:

I just spend up the Eclipse with the Camp Chorus. Comes in at 6.6kg! Wtf. They want £3300 for the build I like but I can get the parts elsewhere and shave £500 off that. Best get saving and learn how to build a bike! Lol.

The price on the website is a 'guide' IME. I went to visit Jim for a chat and test ride. Paid a deposit there and then and saved quite a bit on the SRP of my chosen spec. Perhaps you could go down for a visit?

Here's mine as it was a year ago. I've changed the bars and stem but they've barely changed the look, just the ergonomics. I also have an all black Fizik Arione on it now.

viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12844502&hilit=echo

If you do build up your own then I have Enigma bars and stem if you're interested - 110mm stem and 42cm bars.
  • tomisitt
    tomisitt Posts: 257
    Spin Spitfire MkIII. A bit different to the usual Enigma/Van Nic stuff

http://www.spinmyride.com
  • Monty Dog
    Spin / Qoroz - more Chinese-made kit, I could even hazard a guess at which factories. Use as your starting point that a titanium frame leaves a factory in China for about $600 and then ask 'where does my money go?' Don't be fooled that one has better quality than the other, because they're all much the same IME - a lot of depends on the detail of the design which some makers know better than others. I've seen broken Merlins, Litespeeds and Lynskeys amongst others all due to rubbish design-execution.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Monty Dog wrote:
    FWIW Van Nicholas don't make any frames - they're made in China. You've also got the likes of Burls and Sabbath to consider - again, frames are sourced from Chinese factories. I've no problem with Chinese-produced titanium having bought a number of custom frames directly.

I understood my Burls came from Russia rather than China.

Quick check of their FAQ says Russia. Apparently by the same company that made Colnago's Ti frames in the late 90's / early 00's. Dunno if that is good or bad.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • ct8282
    jordan_217 wrote:
    ct8282 wrote:
    jordan_217 wrote:

I just spend up the Eclipse with the Camp Chorus. Comes in at 6.6kg! Wtf. They want £3300 for the build I like but I can get the parts elsewhere and shave £500 off that. Best get saving and learn how to build a bike! Lol.

The price on the website is a 'guide' IME. I went to visit Jim for a chat and test ride. Paid a deposit there and then and saved quite a bit on the SRP of my chosen spec. Perhaps you could go down for a visit?

Here's mine as it was a year ago. I've changed the bars and stem but they've barely changed the look, just the ergonomics. I also have an all black Fizik Arione on it now.

viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12844502&hilit=echo

If you do build up your own then I have Enigma bars and stem if you're interested - 110mm stem and 42cm bars.

Stunning bike mate. Think I need to my finances in order ASAP. I need a Ti bike now! Won't tell the missus. :D
  • Monty Dog
    Asprilla wrote:
    Monty Dog wrote:

I understood my Burls came from Russia rather than China.

Quick check of their FAQ says Russia. Apparently by the same company that made Colnago's Ti frames in the late 90's / early 00's. Dunno if that is good or bad.

Yes, there are a couple of Russian titanium producers, but they don't appear to have got much traction in the marketplace - I have a Russian made titanium Colnago frame which rides really nice. The Russians are the biggest global producers of the stuff, they even made a titanium submarine! There's a certain snobbery from our American cousins who seem to imply that only they can make good titanium frames, when it is simply down to quality craftmanship and process, regardless of whether they're paid in Yuan, Rubels or Dollars.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    edited July 2013
    Enigma Esprit 8)

602a20bd36198da888db83c30660a719.jpg
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    jordan_217 wrote:

You're painting it ??.? How could you ?! :wink:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Bozabyka
    Bozabyka Posts: 252
    Which Ti factories have you purchased from Montydog?
    Any that you can recommend?
    Any that should be avoided?
  • jordan_217
    MattC59 wrote:
    jordan_217 wrote:

You're painting it ??.? How could you ?! :wink:

Still need to see a design before I commit. What's good in my head may not be, once I see it on a mock up. Not getting it done for a while yet anyway. Another BB30 bearing failure means that converting my CAAD10 to an Ultegra chainset and BB is number one priority.
  • Monty Dog
    Bozabyka wrote:
    Which Ti factories have you purchased from Montydog?
    Any that you can recommend?
    Any that should be avoided?

I have purchased four frames from XACD, but I'm in the process of looking at 2 others for my next build: Walty Titanium and Titan Product. No problem with XACD's quality but the price for going custom is getting a bit steep, more than doubling the basic frame price forcing me to look at others. Spanner.org.uk has plenty of good info and pictures of various projects.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    ct8282 wrote:
    ct8282 wrote:

The carbon frame could also be repaired (you appear to express doubt in that)
  • ct8282
    nochekmate wrote:
    ct8282 wrote:
    ct8282 wrote:

The carbon frame could also be repaired (you appear to express doubt in that)

Nope. My point was about what might happen if you were cycling with a crack like that in carbon. If you hit harsh bump would the bike fail. My guess is Ti would have more chance of surviving such a crack.