Nokia Lumia

Stevo_666
Stevo_666 Posts: 58,504
edited July 2013 in The hub
I've just picked up one of these from work but we can install personal stuff within reason, just go to stay within a 1 Gig data limit when not on wi-fi. Has anyone got one - are these things any good compared to iPhones and Galaxies?

Still trying to figure out how the fark it works!
"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Comments

• russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Which one have you got mate? I'm now on my 4th one in 4 months. They are absolutely useless and not fit for purpose! The Bluetooth works sparodically, it's impossible to write an email any length on it. It won't sink it's contacts with my car phone book. It's hell bent on trying to connect to my Facebook account. Which I most certainly don't want on a work phone. The slide to answer function works on about 1/5 times. Bring back my blackberry!

Still good luck with it!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,504
    It's the 820.

Seems they chose it for work because its compatible with all the usual Microsoft office type stuff. Also probably because Nokia gave them a massive discount for buying thousands of them in one go. But it is free...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    I have an 800 and have had for 18 months. The Mrs has a 920.

Personally I quite like them - the OS is smooth responsive and the live tiles are a neat trick. Also it is nice not to have a phone that every other sheep has but thats probably just me. The 820 and 920 share a camera which is Nokia pretty strong hand. Office 365 seems ok I suppose dont use it often. Agree in part with Russ that writing emails is a pain but i find that on most handheld devices - rotating makes it easier. The predictive text seems very logical - however apps wise it lags behind massively, has some good ones but nothing like Android/Apple.

One thing it does come with preloaded is DRIVE - this is offline turn by turn sat nav (download foreign maps for free if needed)- and is great no data usage if you're in the back of beyond with no signal the sat nav works like a dream.

Personally it's great as a camera, the OS is cool (even Woz one the founders of Apple agrees), gives you free sat nav, it does phone things well and it's a little different. Does it have all the really cool things like Android and Apple - no.
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    I have an 820. No apps to speak of really and those it does have aren't any good. The sat nav is pretty slick though. That is the highlight really!
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    I have an 800, and I'm pretty pleased with it. Works well enough, and the maps/drive etc is great too (for someone who's useless with directions). The app store is really behind though but doesn't overly bother me.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Also have 800, never had a problem with it. Used it via Endomondo for recording rides until I got a Garmin.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have a Galaxy now but previously had an HTC on windows and a Nokia X6....

Bluetooth issues are common on Nokia's, I went though 3 X6's with the same fault before giving up replacing it and accepting it was shite, the thought of merging anything Nokia (accepting some of the issues were due to the Symbian OS) ands windows (The HTC was reliable, but the Windows OS orse than Symbian but at least more relaible!) does not sound attractive.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.