Bike Up to GBP 3,000

100years
100years Posts: 7
edited July 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I'm looking at spending up to GBP 3,000 on a bike - primary use will be for long distance rides (>100 miles). Looking for something light, comfortable, good on hills and with a decent turn of pace.

Think I have narrowed it down to either the Focus Izalco Pro (1.0 or 2.0) or the Ridley Helium. Very hard to get a decent test ride on either (or find stockist who do both).

Any thoughts?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    100years wrote:
    Looking for something light, comfortable, good on hills and with a decent turn of pace.

light - most bikes at that price will be light
    comfortable - depends on setup and tyre choice
    good on hills - depends on you
    decent turn of pace - depends on you

You must have dismissed a lot of good bikes to get down to the Focus and the Ridley. Why are those two top of the list?
  • 100years
    Imposter wrote:
    100years wrote:
    Looking for something light, comfortable, good on hills and with a decent turn of pace.

light - most bikes at that price will be light
    comfortable - depends on setup and tyre choice
    good on hills - depends on you
    decent turn of pace - depends on you

You must have dismissed a lot of good bikes to get down to the Focus and the Ridley. Why are those two top of the list?

Yes - I do realise at that price this particular human buying the bike is a limiting factor to performance!!

How did I arrive at those two?

Nothing too scientific - Both are favourites of two of my LBS (but neither knows much about both bikes) - Focus seems to have great reviews, very well equipped, and is German built which usually is not a bad thing. Ridley has a very good rep amongst my club. Neither seem to be a plenty on the roads of London (which appeals to me, although it may be a sign of something else).

Always open to other suggestions though....
  • for that kind of money I'd be looking to Canyon but then I'm biased, if they still have any left that is....
    A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
    Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    At that kind of price bracket - you cant buy a bad bike - but you could buy one that didn't fit.
    I'd go for a bike fit and make sure you're 100% set on your position and transfer that to a suitable bike.

What do you ride at the moment ?
  • Lifeboy123
    Lifeboy123 Posts: 213
    Madone 5.2 or Domane 5 series ?
  • 100years
    cougie wrote:
    At that kind of price bracket - you cant buy a bad bike - but you could buy one that didn't fit.
    I'd go for a bike fit and make sure you're 100% set on your position and transfer that to a suitable bike.

What do you ride at the moment ?

I have an Felt Z85 which I want to keep for my commute with the new bike for my club rides and sportives. I've had a Retul fit so have the measurements for the ideal fit for me.

Canyon look great, but I'm not keep on ordering a bike direct.

Trek is an definitely a good option.

http://www.swiftcycles.co.uk/projects/focus-izalco-team-3 This looks a strong possibility...
  • option_click
    option_click Posts: 169
    I'd be going Italian - Wilier specifically.

Stretch the budget ever so slightly to get a 2013 Cento Uno, or track down one of the old shape ones from last season and fall well within budget.

Both types are really good all-round bikes.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    100 miles +? Those arent bikes you'll see ridden in audaxes where they are riding 100 > 400 miles regularly and at some speed as well. I'd be thinking about mudguard facility as well as comfort and prob. say the Domane ticks the boxes there. But most of the criteria you have set is actually governed by you. £3k gets you a lot of choice and carbon may not be best. A Ti,steel or a mix of Ti/carbon, steel/carbon may be better. Aren't Rapha-JLT on steel Condors this year?
    M.Rushton
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    go and have a word with engima, i recommended them to a clubmate recently and they have bought one for £3k from them
  • uberkraaft
    uberkraaft Posts: 97
    http://www.swiftcycles.co.uk/projects/focus-izalco-team-3 This looks a strong possibility...[/quote]

I bought this a couple of months ago - it's an incredible ride. But you can't really go wrong at £3000 ;)
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Both those bikes are designed for racing. For your specified usage I would be looking at a premium frame with more relaxed geometry. Giant Defy Advanced SL or Scott CR1 Pro/Premium.Of course depends on age/flexibility etc but personally would not want to ride either of those for 100+ miles.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd be keeping that 3 grand in the back pocket until I knew exactly what it was I wanted to buy. Half of the fun in buying a new bike is mulling over the endless possibilities you have.

When you've actually bought it - then that part is ended. (and I find it hard to tell one bike from another anyway).

Have fun shopping.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Talk to enigma. UK made to your exact
    needs.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    symo wrote:
    needs.

Can you get custom for £3000 though? Off the peg maybe, custom not so sure.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    symo wrote:
    needs.

Can you get custom for £3000 though? Off the peg maybe, custom not so sure.

Better than a bike that is over in ten years though.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    What size are you after ?
    Try a scott cr1 pro frame from westbrook at £499 then you have £2500 for a top groupset wheels and finishing kit.
    Jobs a good un !
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • 100years
    Thanks for all the advice - I knew that my choice of two would turn into a choice of a dozen :)

My Felt is a 56" frame. I'm 5'11 and weigh 73kgs.

I'm not the most felxible, but i would hope with my Retul data any bike I buy would be sure to be able to fit my specs - and if that's so does frame geometry really matter?

Many thanks again all!!

M.