Colnago CX-1

briantrumpet
briantrumpet Posts: 17,685
edited July 2013 in Your road bikes
A little project. Second hand frame (2012), now fitting out with Shimano 105 groupset, Ultegra wheels, and Fizik Arione Versus saddle. Still crankset & stuff to do. The plan is for this bike to live in France in my new little place in the Alps, so I can fly over without worrying about taking a bike, but I haven't gone for higher spec as I still need to buy furniture for the house (but obviously the bike came first). I think this might be the jet-set lifestyle.

colnago1.jpg

Comments

• Nice looking bike. How many your apartment sleep? :D
  • briantrumpet
    Nice looking bike. How many your apartment sleep? :D
    None yet. The only furniture is the clothes airer (the CX-1).
  • Don't worry I'll bring blow up bed and sleeping bag.
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    That bike is a beauty but man do I hate the Colnago type face.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • briantrumpet
    pride4ever wrote:
    That bike is a beauty but man do I hate the Colnago type face.
    I must admit I don't care if the bike rides as well as I gather it should. Having said that, I don't dislike it - at least it's not Comic Sans.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    These are absolutely fantastic frame Brian, I had exactly the same until it was damaged.

They ride beautifully, enjoy. :mrgreen:
  • briantrumpet
    Velonutter wrote:
    These are absolutely fantastic frame Brian, I had exactly the same until it was damaged.

Cheers - I'm hoping to get it in action next week. If it rides as well as my Super Six I'll be happy. If all goes to plan it'll take up residence here after Easter:

lesliotardsarrow.jpg
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    You lucky, lucky b*****d...

:P

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • kim10
    kim10 Posts: 186
    That's just showing off!!!

Lovely bike though, never owned a Colnago myself but you rarely hear bad things about them.

Let us all know when you are settled in and wew can get that Bikeradar get together at yours!! :lol:
  • Nice that, what length stem is that?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • briantrumpet
    Nice that, what length stem is that?
    120mm. The frame's only a 54cm (my Cannondales are 56), but with the longer stem it seems to be a good fit for me at just under 6ft.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Looks tops! Looking forward to some pictures of it at the top of all the Alpine cols :)
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Nice that, what length stem is that?
    120mm. The frame's only a 54cm (my Cannondales are 56), but with the longer stem it seems to be a good fit for me at just under 6ft.

Longer stems just make bikes look much better for some reason.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    looks great, bet you are smilling every time you think about the bike & house!
  • briantrumpet
    matthew h wrote:
    looks great, bet you are smilling every time you think about the bike & house!
    If the forecast for next week holds good (14C and sunny), yes, I'll be smiling. Especially if I've got the bike commissioned and get to take it and ride it along some sublime Alpine roads. Fingers crossed I'll be getting the rest of the bits & bobs sorted tomorrow - I'll post a photo when it's done.
  • briantrumpet
    All done, with the help of a friend. Nothing extraordinary in the groupset or wheels (Shimano 105 & Ultegra), but the thing is still a dream to ride. Total cost about £1500. It's so nice that I'm not going to be able to leave it in France. Dilemma. Nice dilemma.

DSC09347_02-04-2013.jpg

I'm riding from Paris to Rome in June, and I think this is the one that'll be doing the trip.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Velonutter wrote:

Cheers - I'm hoping to get it in action next week. If it rides as well as my Super Six I'll be happy. If all goes to plan it'll take up residence here after Easter:

lesliotardsarrow.jpg

ooo nice...
  • briantrumpet
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Looks tops! Looking forward to some pictures of it at the top of all the Alpine cols :)
    Since you mentioned it ... very late, and apologies for the model pedalling the thing. Col de Mont Cenis, 2081m.

DSC09547a.jpg

In fact I've decided to keep the Colnago at home, and to leave the SuperSix in the French house, at least for now. Tough choice.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Great looking bike there, maybe a darker chainset would look even more 8)
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • briantrumpet
    arran77 wrote:
    Dunno - didn't really like a black big ring on the SuperSix, and this is pretty much the same colour scheme. And the silver would be glinting in the sun forecast for the house next week:

romweath.jpg

Just torture not being there, and definitely seeing little glinting off anything in this country ... everything might as well be black.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    arran77 wrote:
    Dunno - didn't really like a black big ring on the SuperSix, and this is pretty much the same colour scheme. And the silver would be glinting in the sun forecast for the house next week:

romweath.jpg

Just torture not being there, and definitely seeing little glinting off anything in this country ... everything might as well be black.

What about the grey Ultegra, that's a colour I quite like, you'd have to forfeit a sofa or something for the French pad though :wink:

That weather forecast is nearly as stunning as the bike, if I was to live anywhere else it would have to be the French mountains, I love it when I'm there 8)
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • briantrumpet
    arran77 wrote:
    What about the grey Ultegra, that's a colour I quite like, you'd have to forfeit a sofa or something for the French pad though :wink:
    Yes, it would have looked good, but this was the budget bike, and it was by being a tightwad that I was able to afford the house. I think I can live with questionable aesthetics as I glide along a sublime valley road with clear blue skies, temperatures in the 30s and stunning scenery to divert my eyes away from a silver chainset.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    All done, with the help of a friend. Nothing extraordinary in the groupset or wheels (Shimano 105 & Ultegra), but the thing is still a dream to ride. Total cost about £1500. It's so nice that I'm not going to be able to leave it in France. Dilemma. Nice dilemma.

DSC09347_02-04-2013.jpg

I'm riding from Paris to Rome in June, and I think this is the one that'll be doing the trip.

mmm £1500
  • Your bars are rotated down just ever so slightly. If you put them up about 2-3mm the drops will feel a lot better.

I have those bars and the negative rise when your hands are at the butt-end of the drops felt weird until I rotated them upwards to create a consistent upward slope from the end to the level. If you get what I mean.

I'm glad your stem is somewhat slammy.
    The titifers have sung their song.

Now it's time for sleep.