ITV 4 TDF coverage .................adverts overkill !

Raffles
Raffles Posts: 1,137
edited July 2013 in Road general
Anybody tuning in ?

Not even 10 mins between advert breaks :roll: :x
2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105

Comments

• dannyharris
    dannyharris Posts: 217
    Annoying as hell.

Spend more time fast forwarding than watching the race.
  • gubber12345
    gubber12345 Posts: 493
    I watch it eurosport and when on the ad breaks there flick it to itv 4.hardly see any ads.
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • Got to be honest guys, at least its freeview.. How long before its a pay to view!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Got to be honest guys, at least its freeview.. How long before its a pay to view!

Yepp, it's fantastic coverage and it's free. Having said that, best way to watch it is to pause it for an hour and then ff the adverts, result :)
  • andyd77
    andyd77 Posts: 27
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Got to be honest guys, at least its freeview.. How long before its a pay to view!

Yepp, it's fantastic coverage and it's free. Having said that, best way to watch it is to pause it for an hour and then ff the adverts, result :)

FYI ASO want the TDF to be FTA so it will always have live FTA coverage, be that shared with PTV or not.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    More ads on Eurosport as well... I suppose its likely to be watched by more than three blokes and their dog so there will be
  • hatch87
    hatch87 Posts: 352
    It wasn't just the ads, it was the 5 minutes wasted talking about stuff before they showed 30 seconds of racing and then more ads
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/686217
    Come on! You call this a storm? Blow, you son of a bitch! Blow! It's time for a showdown! You and me! I'm right here! Come and get me!
  • islandman
    islandman Posts: 73
    Steephill tv is another option but their adverts are just a bit annoying too. Don't think I can cope with itv though but will probably succumb for the mountains.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Thank feck for sky plus, started watching 10 mins late and still finished in time for top gear
  • Raffles
    islandman wrote:
    Steephill tv is another option but their adverts are just a bit annoying too. Don't think I can cope with itv though but will probably succumb for the mountains.

if you fullscreen steephill you wont have any of those irritating ads to drive you nuts. im trying to find an ad blocker that works for internet explorer 10 and youtube as the amount of ads is just driving me crazy.
  • Raffles
    hatch87 wrote:
    It wasn't just the ads, it was the 5 minutes wasted talking about stuff before they showed 30 seconds of racing and then more ads

I personally find the time trials dull as dishwater, the flat stages not too exciting neither .........but im enthralled by high mountain stages as they are where the tdf is won or lost.
  • Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    live cycling everyday for 3 weeks and its free. I can live with the ads.
  • IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    Flicked over to the GP during the adverts. Funnily enough that meant I caught the tyre dramas, but still not enough to entice me away from the Tour.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    eurosport for me, much better commentary too
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    hatch87 wrote:

The random, pointless and often unrelated facts are one of the best bits of the tour.

"did you know corsica has a narrow bore railway of almost 220km in length?"

Now you do.
  • Raffles
    lawrences wrote:
    hatch87 wrote:

The random, pointless and often unrelated facts are one of the best bits of the tour.

Now you do.

thank god they pointed that out.
  • TimInno
    TimInno Posts: 46
    Buckie2k5 wrote:
    live cycling everyday for 3 weeks and its free. I can live with the ads.

+1

I don't have Sky, so it's refreshing to be able to watch some sport I'm genuinely interested in live on TV.
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    Watch Eurosport on my phone at work if I have the chance, but record ITV and fast forward the ads.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Prefer the Eurosport live coverage, especially in HD, just stunning pictures. I enjoy the ITV4 highlights programme too but there doesn't appear to be a huge amount of cycling on it, plenty other stuff which is generally quite interesting, especially Boardman and Boulting in the wind tunnel.
    Note with interest that The Cycle Show is threatening to make a return!!
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • cedargreen
    cedargreen Posts: 189

Now you do.[/quote]

I think he meant narrow gauge- actually it's metre gauge, a little bit wider than the 3' 6'' gauge used in places like South Africa and much of Japan. This is only random pointless and unrelated if you're a cyclist who isn't interested in narrow-gauge railways.

Agree that these 'factoids' are one of the resons for watching.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    cedargreen wrote:
    Lawrences wrote:

Now you do.

I think he meant narrow gauge- actually it's metre gauge, a little bit wider than the 3' 6'' gauge used in places like South Africa and much of Japan. This is only random pointless and unrelated if you're a cyclist who isn't interested in narrow-gauge railways.

Agree that these 'factoids' are one of the resons for watching.

Ooh someone payed attention :P
  • I think I'll also be watching it on eurosport when possible! Find it quite offending that it's on itv4 too! It's the tour!
  • Baby Trek
    Baby Trek Posts: 118
    We just record it and then skip all the adverts! In a week and a half we will be there watching it in the flesh...so no adverts at all...yippee!
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Quite liking the new Wiggle ad, mind!
  • Just like last year, I think the coverage is fab. The deadpan bloke's intros / recaps are great, Boardman is a legend, and the commentators during do a good job.
    OK, there's adverts, but I'd rather that than a year of Legard followed by all the good bits being Sky only...
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I usually start watching around 7.15. Buzz through the ads and catch up by 8.

Notice the Boardman product placement?
  • Burnsey#23
    Burnsey#23 Posts: 29
    I too record it and just skip the adverts...I'll take Phil liggart over Carlton Kirby any day of the week!!
  • The deadpan bloke's intros / recaps are great

+1
    Imlach's about as dry as a decent G&T :D
    Also loving B&B's windtunnel segments, with Ned playing (up) the role of a rather dim child
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • whitestar1
    whitestar1 Posts: 530
    I watch it at night so have it recorded and fast forward.
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Theyve got the Broom Wagon show only online after todays stage - if its like the podcasts with boulting. boardman and the great rendell it should be good
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.