Which Stanes

prawny
prawny Posts: 5,439
edited August 2013 in Routes
Morning all.

I've managed to convince the wife and kids that a summer holiday in Dumfries and Galloway would be lovely this year and as we've found a cottage with a garage I might as well take a bike or two eh.

We're going to be staying not far from Newton Stewart in Carsluith or somewhere so Kirroughtree is obviously on the cards, but is there anywhere else worth looking at not too much of a drive away.
Being a family holiday I've had to make to concession that I can't be out all day, but I'm willing to get up early to be out and back for 9ish. Don't really want to be getting up much before 5 on holiday though.
Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017

Comments

• Dumfries Stanes are an hours drive from Kirry.
    You could fit a ride in at Mabie by either dropping the family off in town or they drop you off at Mabie.
    There are several attractions in or around town they could visit whilst you are out biking.
    Mabie farm park
    Dalscone farm park
    Ice bowl
    DGone for swimming(check web site for times)
    Good walks at Mabie +cafe
    Ae is a bit further out and not so handy but cafe should be open again by then.
    Dalbeattie, similar to Ae in that no much to do other than seaside play ay Rockcliffe or Sandyhills
    Drumlanrigg could be a good day out for everyone but a fair drive from where you are staying

http://www.lagganoutdoor.co.uk/page210.htm

Speak to Sam at the Breakpad or the Hillbillies about the Cairnsmore climb/descent. It is hike'a bike up and a blast down, could be a video on the FB site

Some of these guys might show you around some local stuff;
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 194&ref=mf
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I rode Ae, Mabie, Kirroughtree & Dalbeattie last year.

Ae is very much worth visiting, Mabie is also very fun but not quite as good as Ae, Kirroughtree is pretty good but not as enjoyable as the other two. Dalbeattie was pretty rubbish IMO & I wouldn't go back (I found it similar to Dalby)
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    Drumlanrig Drumlanrig Drumlanrig :D
  • trailpuppet
    trailpuppet Posts: 381
    by compo » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:33 am

Drumlanrig Drumlanrig Drumlanrig
    but is there anywhere else worth looking at not too much of a drive away

Don't think a 3hr round trip = " not too much of a drive" :?
    However it is a good family day out if you could be allowed a couple of hrs riding whilst they spent time in the castle and grounds :idea:

Kirry is on the doorstep.
    Dalbeattie is next, then Mabie and Ae. All approx an 1hrs drive(2hr round trip)

Nice beach along from Carsluith @ Mossyard

http://www.thebreakpad.com/bikeshophire.html
  • compo
    Its not that far :p

There is some natural stuff in them hills near Newton Stewart I hear so you may be able to ride from your doorstep
  • prawny
    Cheers all. I've been scoping the area on google earth seeing what I can see. I think the full Kirri Red & Black combo might be a bit much in one go but it looks like you can park off the main road where the black starts, is that right? Probably will do the Red one day and the Black another.

Taking the wife and Kids to the castle is an idea. She might not think it's a good one, but it's worth a shot eh.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • compo
    Its a very nice castle ;) with a good tea room and stuff for the kids too.

You could even rent bikes for them and take them round, as the fire roads virtually shadow the red, depending on their skill level
  • dusk
    There's a reasonable amount of forest road on the Kirry black and McMoab is over-rated IMO unless you're a trials fanatic
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • dusk
    Just back from a long weekend in Newton Stewart, rode Kirroughtree Black, Mabie Red and Ae Red.

I have to say that the 'diversions' to avoid the wind farm have just made Ae even better!
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • prawny
    Sorry, forgot about this thread. How hard is the black run at kirroughtree? I've had a couple of looks at the black sections over the chase and my balls still go up into my abdomen as soon as I get to the first drop. Is it even worth me having a go a the black?
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • dusk
    I found it ok but my dad crashed twice! Lots of rocky sections so I would probably say you need to be comfortable with the black sections at Cannock before trying it.
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • trailpuppet
    trailpuppet Posts: 381
    Sounds like you might struggle :?
    Have a look at the map, there is a short cut back onto the red before you commit to going all the way up to McMoab/Heartbreak Hill and Talnoutry :idea: lots of steep rocky stuff once you go that far. Time wise you could be looking at a 4hr ish ride :roll:

Do the red, then do it again :lol:
  • prawny
    Yeah think I might just do the red a few times. Maybe go and have a look at the black skills area bit before giving it up completely. Also, going to pad up and go and have another look at the black sections on the monkey on Saturday morning, if I don't post on here for a few days, tell my wife I love her.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • prawny
    I'm back and survived, only got to kirroughtree, did the red twice and the black once, managed to ride pretty much all of it bar McMoab. Really struggled with the uphill rock garden sections on the red and first part of the black, talnotry, hissing Sid and jabberwocky were awesome. Looked much worse than the black sections on the monkey in places but had a go anyway as there was no way round and didn't have much trouble. Going back next year but staying nearer Dalbeattie for a different challenge.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017