Best Natural rides in scotland

jon1993
jon1993 Posts: 596
edited July 2013 in Routes
Im doing a 10 day road trip trying to ride the best trail centres Scotland has as well as hopefully getting some natural rides done as well. So what routes would people recommend? I am a pretty experienced mountain biker all be it not very well travelled so anything red/black XC or very light DH is good. I want something with good views as well as good riding :) Thanks for the help.
Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
Giant Faith 2 DH bike
Boardman pro 2011
Boardman team carbon 2010
Carrera kracken 2009
Specialized fsr pro 2009
Haro custom build
Cannondale custom build

Comments

• lg18
    lg18 Posts: 92
    What with all the 7 Stanes, plus Laggan Wolftrax, Fort William, and possibly Learney Red Rock on the Black Isle (and will you make it all the way N to Golspie?), are you sure you will have time for natural rides too?!

If you make it to Laggan Wolftrax and/or Learney Red Rock I'm guessing you'll be passing by the Aviemore area, which is a natural riding mecca. It is simply superb - extensive, countless wonderful natural trails, too many to mention really, but Google and BothyBikes in Aviemore will help for sure, and there are several mentioned on here.

Lucy
  • jon1993
    I know there's lots to do but I am focusing mainly on the ones with black options for trail centres and probably wont do them all but id much rather do natural rides as its what mountain biking is all about really. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction ill have a look about there.
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • altern_8
    altern_8 Posts: 1,562
    Im up at Aviemore in August jon1993 and doing "Burma Road" and Laggan,you could prob do 10 days of natural stuff around the area.....
  • jon1993
    We are leaving next Thursday evening at 9pm (when I finish work) to get there overnight sleep a few hours and begin (not that we are keen or anything) I just looked at Burma road and it looks good I might have to go have a look its just a shame we aren't there at the same time, thanks for the suggestion.
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • andy531pro
    andy531pro Posts: 11
    Personally, I don't think you can beat the road through Glencoe - for me this is the most spectacular part of Scotland. You can also put your bike on the chairlift at Glencoe and access the two downhill tracks from the top (one red and one black). A day pass for the chair lift costs £25. You can do the same at Nevis Range (who have a proper gondola lift) but Nevis has much more to offer at the top in terms of trails. Both are highly recommended if you're into downhill. Also consider this loop - about 20 miles and a great way to spend a few hours http://www.cycle-route.com/routes/Glencoe_to_Kinlochleven_and_North_Ballachulish_Circular-Cycle-Route-5129.html
  • turbo1191
    turbo1191 Posts: 501
    One word.. torridon :)