Waterproof, Breathable Coat £50

dynebaruk
dynebaruk Posts: 75
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
Any recommendations for a waterproof coat (must be properly waterproof, not just shower proof), but also breathable so that I don't get too sweaty underneath.

Usage would be mountain bike riding, so needs to be not too restrictive.

Looking around the £50 mark, would stretch that slightly for something worth it...

Comments

• Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    For that budget you won't get anything breathable and even marginally breathable you will need to double your budget for a Goretex paclite, Just get a £50.00 waterproof and vent it as much as you can using the zips because even the most expensive Goretex/eVent jackets are not that breathable when working hard on the bike.
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I was looking at jackets the other day and for something breathable with decent additional venting and proper waterproofing it looked to be 120+ you are going to have to either up the budget or accept the sweat and I find if you sweat in most cheaper jackets you may as well have not worn it in the first place!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    For anything less than about £100 you might as well wear a bin bag for all the breathability you can expect. There are some tops that are breathable for about your budget but they will be showerproof not waterproof. A buddy has one of these and reckons its pretty breathable and keeps the wet out for about an hour or so.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/surface-pertex-jacket/?KEYWORD=surface+pertex+jacket+cycle&MATCHTYPE=Search&AD_ID_G=23772417357&KEYWORD_K=surface+pertex+jacket+cycle&lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Dynamic+Search+Ads+Cycle&referid=googwig&gclid=CJTCn_yDibgCFfLHtAodaA0A2g
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • ChrisP3
    ChrisP3 Posts: 17
    dynebaruk wrote:
    Any recommendations for a waterproof coat (must be properly waterproof, not just shower proof), but also breathable so that I don't get too sweaty underneath.

Usage would be mountain bike riding, so needs to be not too restrictive.

Looking around the £50 mark, would stretch that slightly for something worth it...

Have you tried here? http://www.sportpursuit.com/sales/cycling-sale#filters/report_class-jackets/
  • Sitter
    Sitter Posts: 40
    Was gonna suggest sport pursuit, often have suitable things on there. Only thing to be aware of is the time it takes for delivery, they dont't post out until some time after the sale ends so you do have to wait a while for your goods, no use if you want something quickly. Just waiting on some base layers I bought in a sale a few weeks ago.
  • dynebaruk
    dynebaruk Posts: 75
    I'm surprised it's so expensive just to get a waterproof and breathable coat. Looks like I may have to rethink my budget. I've already got a non-breathable waterproof, but like someone has mentioned, it causes so much sweating that I may as well have not worn one at all.
  • Check out polaris aquatec. £50.00
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    Your local TKMaxx can be worth a look, I got a very light Berghaus jacket for a smidge over £50 last year.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Go Outdoors could be worth a look too.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    Do you really need a jacket that's 100% waterproof. Even the best GoreTex will make you sweat going up hill in summer. I'd go for a light softshell, this should keep you dry in a shower and help prevent sweating. Look for a good DWR coating.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20