beggars

Cleat Eastwood
Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
edited July 2013 in The bottom bracket
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.

Comments

• Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    And how does taking their possessions stop them from sleeping rough? After the police have gone will they all go "oh bugger, i suppose i'll have to go sleep in that 5 star luxury hotel again"? Or will they just continue sleeping rough, only without any bedding or warmth?
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    John Fish is quoted as saying this is what the public want from their Police force, I'm tempted to email the cnut and point out no I bloody well don't. The story is dated the end of May, is he still in the job?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,515
    surely that should be "...police steal possessions..."

or have the boys in blue been granted the power of arbitrary seizure of private property
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    they can't be choosers you know ......
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    If it stops them trying to clean my bloody windscreen I'm all for it :shock:
  • More depressing by the minute - they managed to screw up 'getting' Andrew Mitchell, then Stephen Lawrence, perhaps they have decided to set their sights nearer their abilities. What amazes me is that they are surprised to find that support for them is dropping from more and more sections of society, who else have they now got to alienate??
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Support for police and law and order went long ago, seen daily by the apathy shown by the general public. No one wants to get involved/go to court, so no prosecution brought, so police get it in the neck. Last week we get a call from a woman who gets sexually assaulted, guy is picked out to police, now he's arrested she doesn't want to know. We had a spate of similar assaults recently. Consequently he has to be released on bail while we try and get id's done by other victims. Very frustrating.
    Furthermore, one or two duff officers don't represent the rest of us.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • vitesse169
    vitesse169 Posts: 422
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Support for police and law and order went long ago, seen daily by the apathy shown by the general public. No one wants to get involved/go to court, so no prosecution brought, so police get it in the neck. Last week we get a call from a woman who gets sexually assaulted, guy is picked out to police, now he's arrested she doesn't want to know. We had a spate of similar assaults recently. Consequently he has to be released on bail while we try and get id's done by other victims. Very frustrating.

Absolutely correct, NapD.
    The number of times I had this happen to me is almost unbelievable. The victim wants a quick fix, i.e. getting the offender away - then doesn't support a prosecution and then blames the police because the offender isn't in prison for life....! Then the victim becomes a victim multiple times and the circle is complete - with the police being the bad guys...
  • verylonglegs
    NapoleonD wrote:

I appreciate what you are saying but those things are out of your control. The attitude of the force itself is a different matter, something people like that Chief Inspector should be able to grasp. It's a disturbing story not only because the senior officer is a lunatic but also because he has junior officers willing to pursue his hair-brained policy. How many PC's signed up to take food and blankets off the homeless, it really is nuts.
  • napoleond
    NapoleonD wrote:

I appreciate what you are saying but those things are out of your control. The attitude of the force itself is a different matter, something people like that Chief Inspector should be able to grasp. It's a disturbing story not only because the senior officer is a lunatic but also because he has junior officers willing to pursue his hair-brained policy. How many PC's signed up to take food and blankets off the homeless, it really is nuts.

Pcs do as they are ordered.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    NapoleonD wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

That's what's wrong with this country; blind obedience!
    Joking aside, it must be difficult at times when stupid schemes have to be followed. One of our directors at work is fooking mental. I am in the privileged position of being able to put obstacles in her path but ultimately have to toe her line. Only thing she harms is the bottom line. Not some bodies way of life.
  • verylonglegs
    NapoleonD wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

I understand that, otherwise the system would never function enough to get off the ground. I think it's just the idealist in me that hopes the moral compass kicks in at some point.
  • napoleond
    It does. You just say, 'sorry boss, didn't see any today'...
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,530
    NapoleonD wrote:

So do you go out of your way to take stuff from homeless once you've donned your uniform?