GP 4 Seasons and going for Race Lite or Supersonic tubes

rjkflyer
rjkflyer Posts: 102
edited July 2013 in Road buying advice
HAve GP 4 Seasons and really like their great durability. Currently using Conti Race tubes.

So, given the tyres' puncture resistance, what are folks' views on going for Race Lite or Supersonic tubes?

I don't mind keeping the pressure topped up, within reason, so what's the sweet spot here?

yes, could go latex, but I think for now that's additional hassle I don't want/need.

Comments

• porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    I have run gp4 seasons with race and tried supersonics.....I did catch one (SS) refitting a punctured tube once and went back to race....
    Quite honestly there was no advantage, I guess I will have to work harder to overcome the extra weight of race tubes!

It's not as if gp4 seasons are a particulalry light tyre at the end of the day.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I've stopped using supersonics as they just aren't robust enough for me. Maybe for a pure race bike but I've just had enough of them for regular use. Currently running some latex ones, Michelins I think.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • TOM14S
    TOM14S Posts: 100
    I use the Race Lites and not had any issues.... Goes and finds a bit of wood to touch.
    They're what I have felt have been my "sweet spot" as you put it.
    I use them with any tyres, race or training, as I don't think the tube will make any difference whether you get a puncture or not. If a sharpie's gone through the tyre the tube doesn't stand any chance really no matter how thick or thin.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    tbh with the gp 4 seasons you're starting with a tough tyre that's not going to have great rolling resistance even with a latex tube, i'd stick with the race 28 tubes

if you want a plusher ride with low crr, fit some lighter, suppler tyres and latex tubes (michelin ones)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I have been riding with supersonic tubes in my GP4000s for months. It is a regulalry used bike. No issues here. I like them. For weight weenies only though.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • rjkflyer
    rjkflyer Posts: 102
    All good, and expected, advice - thanks.

Yes agree it's a rugged and not feathery tyre, hence the desire to shave a little weight on the tubes. Race Lite probably best option.

Luckily I'm quite light so run them at 65/85psi and they're actually smooth riding enough for me, and after 1700 miles no punctures... Famous last words...
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I run GP4's on my commuter and they have proved fine over the winter months. The compound used on them does wear and I suspect it is quite soft (I weigh just over 13 stone which may account for that!). They really are a bit like the acceptable face of tractor tyres though. Rather than switch tubes I think you'd get a much better return on investment by treating yourself to lighter summer tyres.

Peter
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Using GP4000S with supersonic tubes here, no problems.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava