Bottom of the cassette, noisier.

markdavidhill
markdavidhill Posts: 279
edited July 2013 in Workshop
I run Ultegra 6700. Now the summer is here I am using the bottom of the cassette more often. I have noted that there is more 'metallic' noise while running these gears whilst on the large chainring. It sounds like chain rub on the front deraillieur, but it is not. I assumed it was because they aren't used as often and so replaced the chain at 1500 miles. The cassette was replaced 1500 miles ago. However, it is still 'chatty' at the bottom of the cassette. The bike is highly maintained and the gears are tuned and adjusted correctly. Any thoughts please.
Team Madison Genesis Volare & Condor Super Acciaio

Comments

• I get this but when I am on lowest gears - it goes away when I clean and lube the chain - I reckon it must be down to me using a Dry Lube now which isn't as good as the wet lube I used normally.
  • I get this but when I am on lowest gears - it goes away when I clean and lube the chain - I reckon it must be down to me using a Dry Lube now which isn't as good as the wet lube I used normally.

Just back from the LBS with a 'true' technician'. He says 'chill'. 'tis normal, especially on sprockets that are less used. As a note, I use C3 Ceramic Wet Lube every 150 miles.

Back home now, increasing my medication.
  • itsnotarace
    itsnotarace Posts: 518
    If it only does it in the small front ring and smallest rear cogs, the chain is at such an angle it's rubbing against the inside of the large front chainring, rather than the inside of the mech cage

Answer is don't cross chain so much :D
  • If it only does it in the small front ring and smallest rear cogs, the chain is at such an angle it's rubbing against the inside of the large front chainring, rather than the inside of the mech cage

Answer is don't cross chain so much :D

Please read OP again.