modifying Cable Stops

andyc-43
andyc-43 Posts: 44
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Replaced the cable operated disc brakes on my Giant XTC, about 3 months, with an Avid Ellixier 3 set-up. The cable guides/stops along the top tube wont accept the hoses so at the moment i've got a couple of zipties holding it in place. Can the stops be modified to take the hose or can i buy anything to hold them.

Picture attached (if it works)!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    moe detail on the stops as one will normally work fine with full length hoses requiring a C clip or a push in sleeve.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Cable outer end stops can be drilled out, I used a dremel using a diamond burr tile cutter on my daughter frame, worked to perfection!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    Cable outer end stops can be drilled out, I used a dremel using a diamond burr tile cutter on my daughter frame, worked to perfection!
    but as XTC come with hydros there will not be any need to be as drastic as this. just use the right bits.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • andyc-43
    Got mine as a frame only and built it up myself, fitted the cable disc brakes myself (before i knew better). Stops are definitly cable stops, not too sure of the age of the frame.

Had thought about cutting them out a bit to suit but wasnt sure how to keep the hose in place so have stuck witht cable ties at present.
  • nicklouse
    andyc-43 wrote:
    Got mine as a frame only and built it up myself, fitted the cable disc brakes myself (before i knew better). Stops are definitly cable stops, not too sure of the age of the frame.

Had thought about cutting them out a bit to suit but wasnt sure how to keep the hose in place so have stuck witht cable ties at present.
    so any pictures?
  • andyc-43
    Hope this works..............................
  • nicklouse
    so any pics of the stops?

but at a guess you need a pair of these
    img0275.jpg

but who knows without pictures of the stops.
  • The Rookie
    Just to add to my erlier, I used a dramel extension (smaller diameter) so it would align better with the stop in the hole, and wrapped plenty of tape round the frome to protecet it, after drilling out the stop section we split the brake, taking the hose of the lever, cut off the end (too long anyway) passing the naked hose through before fitting new olive/barb.

If you drill out the stops and then widen the slot you can use the item Nick has linked to to hold the hose in place with out splitting the system.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    If you drill out the stops and then widen the slot you can use the item Nick has linked to to hold the hose in place with out splitting the system.
    and like i am saying all that is needed is the above as there should be the correct hole.

but as the OP has not supplied a suitable image who knows.
  • andyc-43
    Hope this one is clearer.................im assuming they are visible, are on my pc.

Thanks for all the replies.
    Now i look at it im thinking the hose should fit in the centre stop and use an adapter that nick posted an image of earlier in the thread, and the outside stop for the cable setup remains empty.
  • andyc-43
    nicklouse wrote:

but at a guess you need a pair of these
    img0275.jpg

Have tried Halfords and my LBS but cant seem to find any. Any idea where i might get some of these.

Thanks
  • The Rookie
    andyc-43 wrote:
    Now i look at it im thinking the hose should fit in the centre stop and use an adapter that nick posted an image of earlier in the thread
    BINGO

I think I may have some spare, PM me.

And find a new LBS!

Put sleeve over hose, insert unsleeved section of hose in the cable holder, slide sleeve into cable holder to hold it all in place.