Remote Lockout question

Ross_A
Ross_A Posts: 77
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

I've just bought a second hand MTB with a Rock Shox Tora fork. Now I had an old bike that you just twisted something on the fork to lock it out but this one does not have that.

After a bit of googling, I've found out that it's a remote lockout but there's no levers on the handlebars or a cable going to the shock. Is there a way of manually locking it without a lockout kit? I manually turned it with a fork but the shocks still compressed so does that mean that it's potentially not functioning properly anyway or am I just not able to apply enough pressure to lock it out this way?

Here's what the lockout part of the fork looks like, roughly - DSCN0507.jpg

I'm quite keen to be able to lock the fork as I'll be having to use the bike to ride on roads occasionally.

Thanks for reading and any help given.
Ross

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    read the topic in the FAQs about removing the spring from the RS MoCo cartridge or buy a pop lock or a push lock.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Ross_A
    Ross_A Posts: 77
    Thanks for the reply.

I had a look in the FAQ and couldn't find anything on removing a spring but that's OK as I'm sure I could find something on google. What's the significance of removing said spring?

Just to clarify, if I didn't want a 'poploc' or 'pushloc', is there a 'twistloc' or something that I can just fit to the end of the fork to lock it out?

Thanks
    Ross
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    You can replace it with a similar fork mounted knob, but what nick was referring to is the fact you can just remove the spring from inside your current setup and although not as pretty, and it's slightly harder to turn due to not having a knob sticking out, the end result is the same, although it is more likely to move of it's own accord if you don't add the o-ring or similar. With the spring in it and no poploc/pushloc then when you turn it, it will spring back to fully open. When fully locked, they do have a bit of movement but should be very noticeably stiffer.

Post that nick referred to is here
    Removing the spring from a RS MoCo stack
    by nicklouse » 11 Mar 2010 12:30

(disclaimer: I do not know how easy it is to put the spring back, so try at own risk)

You simply unscrew the right top cap and take the damper assembly out. (no need to remove the remote-spool) It will be a bit oily but if you give it a minute to drip the oil loss will be negligible. Air pressure can remain on the other leg. Just make sure your bike stays upright and doesn't spill its damper oil.

Now you have a motion control damper in your hand, the return spring is clearly visible inside the red Swiss-cheese. Taking it out can be done by removing the Swiss-cheese from the top cap. They are screwed together, but, take careful notice, opposite to the top-cap/fork-leg interface.

So, unscrewing the top-cap from the Swiss-cheese is done by turning it clockwise! Clamp the Swiss-cheese carefully and unscrew the top-cap. (takes a little force) When taking off the top-cap the return spring simply falls out.

Re-assemble everything and your motion control is now effectively non-remote with a remote-spool on it.

To allow the blue spool to keep in position adding an O ring under it to give some friction can help, or purchase a friction spool for it.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Ross_A wrote:
    Thanks for the reply.

I had a look in the FAQ and couldn't find anything on removing a spring but that's OK as I'm sure I could find something on google. What's the significance of removing said spring?
    did not look hard did you and it is even on the first page

viewtopic.php?f=40073&t=12686393
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown