Overtaking! The unnecessary politics!

ct8282
ct8282 Posts: 414
edited July 2013 in Road general
I've not long been in this game but I'm really lost as to the politics of overtaking. I see it being discussed a lot on here, and today I experienced first hand the rather sad and quite frankly unnecessary overtaking behaviour that some of you clearly think is acceptable.

I was out on a 30 mile morning ride and I was pushing myself fairly hard as I wanted to keep my average speed up. I'm a newbie to this game so my average speed was 17mph over the distance, however I was working hard and keeping my pace up as best as possible. On 2 occasions I came up behind other roadies who were travelling slower than I was. Because of what I had read on here I started over analysing what I should be doing in this situation so in the first instance I started to slow myself to sit someway behind the other cyclist. However I quickly decided that this was horse sh*t so I picked up my pace and as I pulled out to overtake I politely said good morning and was greeted by the same response as I passed. I pressed on and assumed that was that. About 300 yards on I realised the other cyclist had picked up his pace and was sitting on my wheel, putting pressure on me which made me pedal harder and I was tiring. A mile or so on we hit a hill but I had tired somewhat so he pulled out and overtook me.

About 10 miles later pretty much the same thing happened again, only this time he did not overtake me as he eventually pulled off a different side road.

Now, someone please explain this pathetic, macho and inadequate behaviour. These guys were cycling slower, clearly by choice, and I was cycling faster again by choice which means I will need to overtake. If I sit behind them I am ruining my own ride as I would not be moving at the pace I wish. If I overtake they get a complex and sit up my ass which quite frankly I did not tell them was ok. I've seen many of you joke about how you love to bully other riders like this if they overtake you so come on, what drives you to behave in such a way?

Comments

• chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    ct8282 wrote:
    About 300 yards on I realised the other cyclist had picked up his pace and was sitting on my wheel, putting pressure on me which made me pedal harder and I was tiring.
    So how exactly did he make you pedal harder?

Sounds to me like you were trying to drop him :)

It's simple - if you overtake someone but you're only going a little bit faster, then with a small effort he can get on your wheel, and then go faster, possibly now at your speed, without extra effort.

There's nothing more interesting about this than the etiquette of drafting someone without their permission.

I do it myself sometimes if I feel like a bit of a rest. I'll stay a bike length behind, or if I want to practise riding closer, I'll ask if he minds me tagging along.

However, if I hadn't read all the threads here about how people don't like uninvited drafters, it might not have occurred to me to either ask or stay back.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    do what I do...up the pace further and smoke em :-)

think of it as doing them a favour and giving them a friendly lift...end of the day you know whos faster so it don't matter and you got a harder workout...win win as I see it
  • hatch87
    hatch87 Posts: 352
    If he dropped you on the hill maybe he was going slower knowing there was a hill coming
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/686217
    Come on! You call this a storm? Blow, you son of a bitch! Blow! It's time for a showdown! You and me! I'm right here! Come and get me!
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    as above could be faster/slower on flat/hills, plus the whole chase the rabbit effect of a bike in front.

Other thoughts are how big a gap did you give him? the draft effect if you pulled in closeish will would pull him along nicely.
  • 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    Erm, it's not bullying or anything odd. If you ride past another rider they can probably sit on you wheel using less effort than they were riding at before you overtook them. You give then a nice slipstream to sit in.
    It's not a race, so chill out. If you feel pressured, just glance round, flick your elbow and move out to let them through.
    Or just ride as you were. Why the need to speed up, surely you're the one treating this as a competition?
    They're just using less effort to go faster. They'd be silly not to.

I doubt any club type rider would mind another getting a draft. I often ask and ease off a bit if it's a strong headwind so they can get on, but it's up to them.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I was out riding yesterday and a gent went flying past on a big flat section, he sounded like he was about to die going past, I just continued on at my pace and he made a sarcastic comment as i big ringed by him on th next hill.
  • sharky1029
    sharky1029 Posts: 188
    There was a great post on here a while back however I can't seem to find it which explained the etiquette of overtaking with a number of amusing comments varying from just smoke them to my personal favourite of when overtaking, sprint up behind them until about 2 metres behind your victim, then stop pedaling and freewheel while tightening your shoe straps or adjusting your brakes.
  • ct8282
    ct8282 Posts: 414
    Thanks peeps. Ive calmed down about it now, was just annoyed yesterday as it ruined those particular parts of my ride, but I would like to hear from some of the 'smokers' and those who play these games so I can understand the rationale. If it is just a competitive nature thing then fair enough.
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    Overtake, cycle really hard for a mile and then hide behind a hedge.
  • gavbarron
    gavbarron Posts: 824
    Just let it go. You call it macho and pathetic but you upped the pace when he was behind you so get off your soap box. It's a competetive sport at all levels, noone likes being passed but if you were going slow enough for him to get back to you and then drop you on a hill them maybe it's really yourself you are angry at. Just keep training and worry about yourself, 17mph is good average for someone new to the sport and will only improve meaning this will happen less often
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Ah yes another "I've been cycling for 2 days and average 30mph".

Anyway the only one at fault here is you.
  • Ah yes another "I've been cycling for 2 days and average 30mph".

Sounds like he goes out with the intention of winding up other riders and spoiling their rides.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    Perhaps the answer is to get a jersey printed with "bottom watcher" on it so that anyone overtaking will feel really uncomfortable :lol:
  • 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    Cycling is a sport amongst other things, and we all get used for motivation.
    It's part of the fun, and when you get overtaken by some fast lads you'll probably latch onto the back too.

BTW I'm assuming you're male.
    I wouldn't latch on to solo overtaking ladies without asking, but maybe that says more about me.
  • robz400
    robz400 Posts: 160
    "Now, someone please explain this pathetic, macho and inadequate behaviour. These guys were cycling slower, clearly by choice, and I was cycling faster again by choice which means I will need to overtake. If I sit behind them I am ruining my own ride as I would not be moving at the pace I wish"

Do people riding their bike actually think like this?! Peoples speed varies for a million reasons: Intervals, recovery, hills, flat, having a bad couple of miles in the middle of a quick ride, looking at the view, laughing at the guy in the slightly too shiny kit getting miffed by an overtake.... but none of these should annoy you!

Or are you just annoyed that someone else has dared to cycle on your bit of road?
  • eddiefiola
    eddiefiola Posts: 344
    Ah yes another "I've been cycling for 2 days and average 30mph".

Sounds like he goes out with the intention of winding up other riders and spoiling their rides.

30 mile ride, 17 mph average, was actually what he wrote.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    When faced with situations like this, I tear off my jersey, shout "REQUESTING A FLYBY!" before spinning past at top speed, incredibly close, while singing "Highway to the dangerzone". Once I am approximated 2 inches clear, I do a one handed wheelie, while flexing the free bicep. I then turn round, give them the famous Lance Stare, and cycle off. Often, 200 yards down the road, I have to stop to "repair a mechanical" - this is good as it gives me the chance to repeat.
    Insert bike here:
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    ct8282 wrote:
    was just annoyed yesterday as it ruined those particular parts of my ride,
    Really?!

No .... Really?!

Are you sure?!

Perhaps you need to chill a bit ...

If you're riding a course to your own plan then ride it to your own plan ... end of story. The only time you could get miffed is if someone blocks you unnecessarily.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    mpatts wrote:
    When faced with situations like this, I tear off my jersey, shout "REQUESTING A FLYBY!" before spinning past at top speed, incredibly close, while singing "Highway to the dangerzone". Once I am approximated 2 inches clear, I do a one handed wheelie, while flexing the free bicep. I then turn round, give them the famous Lance Stare, and cycle off. Often, 200 yards down the road, I have to stop to "repair a mechanical" - this is good as it gives me the chance to repeat.

Now that is awesome! I hope you overtake me some time, it won't be too hard! :D
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    mpatts wrote:

:lol:
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Overtaking! The unneccessary threads!

Do we have to start a new one every single week to discuss exactly the same boring issues over and over again?
  • adr82 wrote:

Do we have to start a new one every single week to discuss exactly the same boring issues over and over again?

Seems like it. And the sad thing is that I can't resist taking a peek inside when I know it'll be the same old same old.

Perhaps we should have a single thread or even entire forum for it.

I'm thinking of putting up a post entitled
    "I was overtaken on a sportive by a bloke with no helmet and then by a car with rack and no number board". However, I think the Internet may not cope.

Edit - added the sportive to the title. Forgot that one too.
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    Earlier this year I was commuting home on my MTB. I came off a trail onto the road and in front of me was a guy on a road bike. First off, what seemed strange was that he was going a lot slower than me, on a road bike on tarmac he should have been leaving me for dust. But anyway, I had the choice of slowing and following him, or passing him. Knowing the road ahead well, I knew there was a windy section ahead, so if I was going to pass him safely, I needed to do it before the corner we were approaching, so I put in some extra effort to get past him, cycled around the corner and slowed to my usual speed. Sure enough, after the corners, we hit a hill and he passed me relatively easily. As he passed he cheerily mentioned something about how nasty the hills are around here.

He didn't seem annoyed at me for passing him, and I certainly wasn't annoyed at him that he'd increased his speed to pass me after I'd originally passed him. I just wanted to get home quickly and was riding the same way I do every time I ride home from work. The fact I met another cyclist that night was irrelvant to how I rode.

I'm struggling to understand what the issue is and why its so annoying. Ride your ride and and so long as you don't obstruct others, stop worrying about what they're doing, how fast they're doing it or the reasons why...
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • Squaggles
    Squaggles Posts: 875
    I've been riding for a few years and had plenty of people overtake me , I've overtaken a few , I don't think it has ever bothered me in the slightest , why worry about stuff like that ? Just go out ride your bike and enjoy it
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • adr82 wrote:

Seconded. It's getting very effing dull having to read this stuff over and over again.

Having said that, when I posted a thread on this same topic about a year ago it was awesome and highly original simply by virtue of the fact that it was me that had written it.

Now it's just doing my head in.

BTW OP, my simple rules of thumb when overtaking

1) Just get it over and done with, maybe raise a hand as you go past to acknowledge them
    2) Make sure you can carry that speed for a few miles
    3) If you've come up behind them but aren't confident of overtaking them and keeping up to speed, draft them but let them know you're there adn that you're willing to take the wind if required
    4) If you overtake them and they decide that it's a race, then that's their problem. And it will soon be apparent as to who has the legs.
  • Neil_aky
    Neil_aky Posts: 211
    Just watched Chris Boardman tonight on the TDF coverage explaining how someone drafting you gives you some benefit. Once this information gets out there it may become more acceptable to draft someone i.e. you are 'helping' them!
  • Pickled Pig
    Pickled Pig Posts: 233
    ct8282 wrote:
    Now, someone please explain this pathetic, macho and inadequate behaviour. These guys were cycling slower, clearly by choice, and I was cycling faster again by choice which means I will need to overtake.

Strange way of looking at things. I like overtaking and being overtaken as it motivates me to ride harder. I don't care who ends up in front at the end of it all - it's meaningless in this scenario as you have know idea what the other guy has already ridden.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Politics?, in overtaking?, blimey, people take things WAY too seriously!!!
  • I know what the answer is!! GET A BL00DY LIFE!!!!!!!