Fork upgrade for 1998 Trek 7000ZX

johnsav
johnsav Posts: 775
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
As per title, any ideas as to what fork I could install on my commuting hack?

The Indy XC fork really doesnt really do any useful and I'd like to treat it to something slightly better. Has to be V-brake unfortunately.

Comments

• If it's for commuting, and assuming you're not getting an major rough stuff to ride on and it doesn't monkey with the front end geometry too much, have you thought about a rigid replacement? I picked up a Project 2 from e Bay for my commuter ride (still in need of a few parts, but happy with the fork) or else something like this from Planet X. It could also make your bike less nickable
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    +1, for commuting, ride rigid, my commuter wears a set off an old Marin Hybrid, just over 800g, so about half the weight of the lightest sus forks....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • johnsav
    johnsav Posts: 775
    Its a mixture of bridleways/woods and road if I get the train half way or all road if I ride the whole distance.
    Not really to fussed about lightweight stuff as the bike is exactly heavy as it is.

There's also the question of wether to keep it "period" with its components. Hmmmm
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    More MTB's back then were rigid than suspended, both my 1997's are rigid, sounds like rigid would be fine, just get something that looks right (like the above mentioned P2's)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or look on www.retrobike.co.uk
    Often some nice old forks in the classifieds.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools