Changing chain set question

lofty102
lofty102 Posts: 138
edited June 2013 in Workshop
Hi, I'm thinking of changing my chain set from a 53/39 Sram force to a compact 50/34 Sram Re black red. Like I say I've currently got Sram Force chain set along with Sram force front and rear deraileur and shifters and a 11/27 10 speed Ultegra cassette.
Will Sram red chain set be compatible with the rest of my Force running gear?
Will I be able to use the same BB?
I've read somewhere that I would need to buy a Sram Yaw front derailleur, is this correct as I've never heard of a Yaw derailleur! But I've also read that Sram red can be used with other components?!

Thanks for any info you can pass on to me regarding changing a chain set.
2010 Mondraker Factor RR
2014 canyon ultimate cf 9.0 sl
2016 Planet x pro carbon
2017 Scott Spark 730

Comments

• Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Yes and yes re chainset, mixing Red and Force shouldn't be a problem at all but in all likelihood you'll have to lower and readjust your front mech to account for the drop in sprocket size.

I've never heard of a yaw f/d - sorry.

I'd swap over the 53/39 and no have to mess with the f/d if it were me, like.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,547
    the yaw fd is for the current sram red (2012-13 onwards), you also need the matching shifter for it

sram red black uses the original fd, as does all previous sram red

red black and earlier will be fine with your force fd and also be a lot cheaper than swapping out chainset+fd+shifter to the yaw versions

btw in case you are contemplating mixing current sram red with earlier, read this to see what does/doesn't work...

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/03/ ... ity_209270
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • lofty102
    Thanks for the replies, very informative and helpful. I've been looking at Sram red Black but it comes in 2 different types BB30 or GXP, what is the difference?

Thanks again
    2010 Mondraker Factor RR
    2016 Planet x pro carbon
    2017 Scott Spark 730
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    That's just the kind of bottom bracket it fits to - just get the one that matches your current b/b - if you don't know/can't work out by looking at internet piccies then pop down your local bike shop and they will be able to tell you.
  • lofty102
    Thanks Yossie.
    2010 Mondraker Factor RR
    2016 Planet x pro carbon
    2017 Scott Spark 730