What's new?

steelergoalie94
steelergoalie94 Posts: 3
edited July 2013 in MTB beginners
Hello :-)

New member saying Hi.

I have decided to get back to riding after a 15 year lay off. Tomorrow I pick up a nice shiny Cube Ltd Race 29'er :-)
I used to ride a lot through the 90's and was quite active around the London scene where I lived at the time. I rode the venues (such as they were back then) and I also rode my Saracen Raw to work at the MOD from Rotherhithe. The looks I got! LOL full sunsers were a new beast then and I quite literally turned heads as I bounced up the road. Caused a small accident once actually as a 'roadie' past me staring so much he went straight into the back of a parked car LOL. No damage or injuries I'm glad to say, just dented pride.

So, 29'ers then....
Really liked the feel on the test rides, and I like 'new' so there we go.
Disk brakes, now there a thing. I remember seeing an article in one of the mags in the 90's about whether disk or drum brakes would ever be the 'norm'. Oh how we laughed....

So what else is new? I'm back in Sheffield now, what's the scene like around? I'm getting on a bit mind so it will only be pleasure riding, my comping days are over.

I've still got some of m old stuff which will come in handy, but I think I maybe wanna replace the bladder for my Camelbak eh? :-)

And just to drift OT slightly, are there any Ice Hockey peeps on here? I notice a few usernames that are hockey related?

See you out there!
:-)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Paul (aka Supersonic) is very knowledgable and lives in Castletown so will probably be a good source for local 'scene' information.

The Cubes a good bike, quite an outlay for a 'returning newbie' ride and enjoy, after a 1990's FS I guess your amazed at how lacking in mass it is!

'Getting on a bit' sorry CoolDad and I at least insist on that being 'maturing well', although you're probably younger than us!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Paul (aka Supersonic) is very knowledgable and lives in Castletown so will probably be a good source for local 'scene' information.

The Cubes a good bike, quite an outlay for a 'returning newbie' ride and enjoy, after a 1990's FS I guess your amazed at how lacking in mass it is!

'Getting on a bit' sorry CoolDad and I at least insist on that being 'maturing well', although you're probably younger than us!

Haha, yes. This whole bike weighs as much as my back wheel off the Sarry LOL.

Got it today :-) imediately changed the pedals, and I think I will be putting some narrower bars on, it feels too wide. Other than that, I love it! Will get some hours in over the next week or so and decide if to make any other changes, it seems decent enough spec wise out the box though?

I think having been out of action for so long is helping with the step up to 29 as well, it rides lovely and just feels like 'riding a bike' doesn't feel weird or un-chuck-aboutable cos I haven't ridden anything in so long.

My backside isn't loving the return to the saddle though!
  • The Rookie
    Try moving the controls and grips in and see how it feels before splurging on new bars...and you can always cut down what you have!

MTFU your butt will soon be good, though Cube saddles don't have the best reps!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    If its the same Selle Italia X1 as I got with mine, bin it! Get a Spoon
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Chapeltown by the way lol ;-)
  • The Rookie
    Oops sorry, just an ignorant Southerner (Born in Kent living in the Midlands) me!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's that northern accent - unintelligible to our sophisticated ears. Just sounds like Grfpkfttown.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Try moving the controls and grips in and see how it feels before splurging on new bars...and you can always cut down what you have!
    ^^BEFORE you go and do that though, I'd urge you to ride it as it is for a while and see if you get used to it, rather than start tinkering straight away. Whilst some folk prefer wider bars, and some prefer narrower, there's some pretty good reasons that bars became wider in general.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    ^^BEFORE you go and do that though, I'd urge you to ride it as it is for a while and see if you get used to it, rather than start tinkering straight away. Whilst some folk prefer wider bars, and some prefer narrower, there's some pretty good reasons that bars became wider in general.

+1

I just swapped my 720mm for 760mm and didnt like the feel for about a week. Then one day it clicked and I've had no further problems.