Rose Xeon RS-5000

cat_with_no_tail
cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
edited October 2014 in Your road bikes
My first real foray into road bikes. Spent a while chatting with the guys at Rose about what to go for. Decided to go for an alloy frame, as I'm a bit of a unit, and tend to plough stuff rather than floating over it. This left me with a little extra money which I used to splash out on some Campy Chorus because I've always wanted it.

Stuck with a compact as round here, everywhere is up and I'm not man enough for a full standard double. The climbing is also the reason I stuck with the Ksyrium Elites.

Anywho, got a text from the wife at lunch time today saying it had arrived. What followed was the longest 7hrs of my life.
When I got in, this is what was waiting....

DSC00460_zpsc67f4584.jpg

Opened her up, and it was a very tidily packaged road bike. All good so far then......

DSC00461_zps8006a5b1.jpg

Out comes the front wheel, the seatpost, and the box which contained the pedals and a little document folder complete with every manual from every part, and all the warranty info, spoke keys etc.

DSC00462_zpsbb58d32a.jpg

Threw on the pedals, front wheel, turned the bars, inserted the seatpost, and here we are (I'm aware my saddle needs adjusting and bars could do to be angled down a touch more).

DSC00465_zps5fdc11d4.jpg

DSC00464_zpsabcba78d.jpg

DSC00484_zps4b861fa0.jpg

DSC00474_zpsd11e243b.jpg

DSC00480_zps8ac8c5ab.jpg

DSC00468_zpseb229b39.jpg

DSC00479_zps099c588c.jpg

DSC00473_zpsa900332d.jpg

DSC00477_zps99d3c044.jpg

DSC00466_zps3d0eccbf.jpg

DSC00470_zpsb56f517b.jpg

DSC00471_zps6820bd46.jpg

DSC00476_zpsb027dc5d.jpg

DSC00475_zps2a8d8d3e.jpg

Frame: Rose Xeon RS5000 (Alloy) 57cm
Forks: Rose Xeon RS Carbon
Bars: Ritchey Evo-curve WCS Carbon 42cm
Stem: Ritchey WCS 4axis 90mm
Bar Tape: Xtreme, soft touch, Yellow

Front Brake Lever: Campagnolo Chorus Ergopower
Front Caliper: Campagnolo Chorus D-Skeleton
Rear Brake Lever: Campagnolo Chorus Ergopower
Rear Caliper: Campagnolo Chorus D-Skeleton

Shifters: Campagnolo Chorus Ergopower
Cables: Campagnolo Chorus
Front Mech: Campagnolo Chorus
Rear Mech: Campagnolo Chorus

Seat: Selle Italia SLS Monolink XC
Seat Post: Ritchey WCS Carbon Monolink Flex
Seat Post Clamp: Rose

Cranks: Campagnolo Chorus Ultratorque Compact 172.5mm
Chainring(s): 34-50
Chain: Campagnolo Chorus
Cassette: Campagnolo Chorus 11-25
Pedals: Speedplay Zero cro-mo
Bottom Bracket: Campagnolo Chorus

Front Wheel: Mavic Ksyrium Elite S WTS
Rim: Mavic Ksyrium Elite S WTS
Spokes: Mavic Ksyrium Elite S WTS
Hub: Mavic Ksyrium Elite S WTS
Tube: Mavic Ksyrium Elite S WTS
Tire: Mavic Yksion Pro Griplink 25mm

Back Wheel: Mavic Ksyrium Elite S WTS
Rim: Mavic Ksyrium Elite S WTS
Spokes: Mavic Ksyrium Elite S WTS
Hub: Mavic Ksyrium Elite S WTS
Tube: Mavic Ksyrium Elite S WTS
Tire: Mavic Yksion Pro Powerlink 25mm

Accessories: couple of bottle cages, k-edge chain catcher, k-edge garmin mount (all still to be fitted)

Weight: 7.13KG with Pedals

Other info: The guys at Rose were very helpful with configuring this bike. The configurator on their site is also excellent

Comments

• Very nice bike enjoy
  • shamrock134
    shamrock134 Posts: 714
    Nice! Welcome to the Rose club. :)
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Very Nice! I like the paint finish.
    Would you mind telling us how much?
  • Was an absolute steal. All this (including the pedals), for around £2k
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,166
    Nice bike Cat, think I said before I quite fancy one myself. Let us know how how you get on with it once you've got a few miles under your belt.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    like it... good pics.
  • Cookie91
    Cookie91 Posts: 97
    Looks lovely, it looks like such a lush ride. Let us know how you get on!
  • TKF
    TKF Posts: 279
    I agonised a long time over a Rose or Canyon (before buying neither)

Cracking looking bikes and sterling vfm
  • Now the rain has cleared, I'm using it as an excuse for some more pics.

DSC00495_zps0a343c95.jpg
    DSC00486_zpsa2cbc3b7.jpg
    DSC00487_zpsde232c6d.jpg
    DSC00490_zpsb2c457de.jpg
    DSC00493_zps07657f0e.jpg
    DSC00499_zps19d34eb9.jpg

Went out for a quick test today. Only a quick 40k to make sure everything is working. In spite of the horrendous wind, and the fact I'm still trying to get used to road geometry (after riding the converted rockhopper for the last 6 months) I was shocked when I got back to see some of my segment times. This thing absolutely FLIES!

The Chorus gruppo is absolutely flawless too. Gear changes are just completely seamless, even when shifting up 4-5 cogs at a time.

The fit is brilliant, straight out of the box, which is a credit to the online fitting system Rose use. I am also very happy with the fact that if anything turns out to be less than 100% comfortable, I can send it back for a different size within 1 month, no charge.

Essentially, it's everything I wanted and more. I bought this particular bike because it was the exact spec I wanted. I seriously could not be happier with my choice.

The one tiny gripe I have (and it is a tiny gripe) is that I'd specced 25mm tyres, but they've supplied it with 23s. It's not the end of the world, but I've emailed Rose anyway to see what they say about it.
  • Rose got back to me this morning to apologize about the mix-up with the tyres, and to inform me that a set of Conti GP4000s in 25mm flavour are now winging their way to me.
    It's a bit of a win for me, especially considering how I pointed out to them I was still quite happy with the 23s they supplied.
    I'll throw them on when they arrive to see how they stack up against the 23 Mavics on there now. But most likely scenario is the Contis will be put away until winter now.
  • 25mm Tires now fitted.

Clearance is pretty tight, but they do fit.

DSC00503_zps209e99f4.jpg

DSC00504_zps1270dd4c.jpg

DSC00508_zps90a26883.jpg

DSC00511_zps775bc4ea.jpg

DSC00510_zps654805dd.jpg

DSC00512_zpsbf075bf6.jpg

I've only done a short ride since fitting them, and not really noticed much difference. I imagine the real difference in both terms of speed (less) and comfort (more) will come into play this weekend when we're looking at a longer ride.

Edit - Difference in weight is about 25g per tyre. Used the same tubes.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    25mm tyres are actually faster than 23s in most cases. Also considerably more comfortable.

I love the bike! I can imagine it's like marmite but I'm definitely in the 'love' group. Enjoy!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • e17blade
    e17blade Posts: 215
    Enjoy the bike mate. I love my Rose more and more every time I go out on it.
  • RideOnTime
    E17Blade wrote:
    Enjoy the bike mate. I love my Rose more and more every time I go out on it.

oh :lol:
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    i absolutely love it!
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    ooooooo. :D

I like this! Love it when I see an extraordinary colour scheme
  • RideOnTime
    :D:D
  • not subtle by any means, but a great looking bike, really like it!
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Update: After less than 1,000km the rail on the Monolink saddle snapped the other week. At the front, under the nose. Hadn't had any big impacts or anything, it just went.

I contacted Rose, and they collected it and sent out a replacement immediately. Took less than a week from it snapping to me having a replacement in my hands. Well done Rose!

Tbh, I'm not finding the monolink saddle particularly comfortable. It's VERY much a short ride saddle imo. I want to go back to my charge spoon but getting hold of a replacement standard rail clamp to fit the WCS Link seatposts is a bit of a mare. Ritchey only seem to be selling the clamps to convert your standard rail link post to monolink, not the other way.

LBS are on the hunt for me. Paligap have made a suggestion to use a clamp off a V2 post, but I'm not sure they will be the same fitting.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Seriously nice machine. Glad to see you are getting good service from Rose.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • maxlite
    maxlite Posts: 293
    Great looking m/c, love the colour scheme.....and the wheels :)
    Cervelo R5
    Cinelli Saetta
    Giant XTC
    Raleigh Classic
  • Been looking at the Rose site for a few days now trying to decide whether to take the plunge.

Lovely bike you've got there!
    Planet X XLS 2013
    Planet X London Road 2015
  • RideOnTime
    reminds me of an English rose.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    I googled your bike to take a look and this post came up! Very nice.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Smart bike, brilliant service from Rose - win - win I think - good work that man!
  • Jon_1976
    Jon_1976 Posts: 690
    Wrong thread
  • I am not sure if I am too late, but I too struggled with the Monolink post and SLR saddle that came with the bike. I persaveared for 3 weeks putting in 400 miles to make sure it wasnt just the saddle needing broke in. Anyhow I gave up and contacted Rose who as you say are brilliant at customer care. They gave me a Free post to print out I packaged up my old saddle and ritchey Carbon post and they sent me my old post with the new twin rail conversion attached with this new Selle Italia Gel Flite saddle which is First class. I have done 2500 miles on this one and 5 century rides. So I wont be parting with it any time soon.

Here are a few picks of my Rose Xeon RS 3000
    My mods are
    25mm Conti GP4000s tyres. (my Mavic front tyre had a blow out @ 40mph with only 300 miles on them)
    Rotor Q rings ( still waiting on my bolt covers to tidy up the cranks)
    Changed the Bartape to black from red

IMAG1117_zpsb41714ce.jpg

IMAG1114_zpsbe351a4e.jpg

IMAG1113_zps8093af4e.jpg

Blew the Kevlar wire right out of the tyre
    IMAG0686_zpse814331d.jpg
  • plodder73
    plodder73 Posts: 326
    Love that red and black. I nearly bought one the other day, put off by reviews saying its very racey and not very comfortable. How do you find it? Its an absolute steal at £1200 with that groupset and wheels.

Is that the monolink post thats been adapted ?I wonder if you can specify that when ordering it doesn't seem to be an option, suppose you may as well just order standard post.
  • I just bought the adapter thing online, cost me about a tenner iirc.

:)