Race Tyres

peddlingmadness
peddlingmadness Posts: 151
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
Anyone recommend some decent race tyres for mainly off road semi muddy conditions as the tyres I have on now barley grip on mud or rock when going up hill. Sat down peddling up a Cat 3 hill my rear tyre spins far too much. Thanks!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What do you have on now then?

Rocket Rons......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Schwable Racing Ralph - they get good reviews but, I'm wondering if I'm too light for them at 10.5 stone. I'm just not getting the purchase I need
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Tyres or technique?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Could it be your technique?

I use a racing ralph on the rear and don't have much trouble, even in pretty deep gloop. Even if you're sitting down, you just need to try and keep all your weight pointing through your rear wheel (I'm 11 stone so not too much more!)
  • Must try moving my seat back a touch and see if it makes a difference. I used to have a trek 8900 with big betty's and didn't have a problem, now have a cube reaction Sl and even though I like the bike the rear slippage is crazy but, maybe your right I could be blaming the equipment and should look nearer to home..!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Pressure? Less = more traction......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Ralphs are a great tyre, if you want more grip you don't want race tyres!