Chain device for 2X9 setups

step83
step83 Posts: 4,170
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
Had a real mare today, found a brilliant section of roots which were more like a staircase lovely challenging decent but totally ruined by my chain coming off at every opportunity.
Both me and my friend thought it must be the front mech being too far in so with the aid of a tree we adjusted it out. went off ten minutes later same again going over rough terrain. Picked up some lovely snake bites from trying to pedal with no chain.

Now im not sure if i need a chain device or just to lower the front mech hence me asking. Ive gone from a 3X9 setup to a 2X9 with bashring. I have a Bioncon C guide and the front mech is still in the same place it was for the 3X9 setup. Should i drop the mech down or get a 2X9 guide (if so which) or should I do both? Note the frame has no ISCG mounts but thankfully its not a pressfit BB so any guides would need to be BB compatible unless i can find a plate.

Comments

• Tom Barton
    Tom Barton Posts: 516
    Tight front mech adjustment only gets you so far. Two options:

1. A new style clutch rear mech will improve chain retention and reduce any annoying chain slap noise you may get but its not gonna work all the time.

2. Yep - a lower chain device will definitely help keep that chain on the vast majority of the time.

A quick google provides:

Expensive ones:
    http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do?method=view&n=3511&g=248388&p=74262&c=215&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Chain%20Guides&gclid=CJL4tvGQjLgCFVMftAoda3wAtQ

Cheap ones:
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=336
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Where was the chain coming off?

Which ring front and sprocket rear?

Have you shortened the chain from it's 3x9 length to take advantage of the extra control it would bring?

You can't get a 9speed damped (clutch) mech.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • crispy1980
    crispy1980 Posts: 310
    I have done the same thing and I use a black spire dtinger device. Works a treat, never had the chain drop soncr
  • step83

Boinging down a section of roots and also on a couple of bumpyish fire trails

Which ring front and sprocket rear?

Granny on the front rear once in the top rest mid cassette

Have you shortened the chain from it's 3x9 length to take advantage of the extra control it would bring?

Two links removed, not taken more due to the chain guide under the chainstay

You can't get a 9speed damped (clutch) mech.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I have found that if everything is adjusted correctly things don't just come off. Probably helps to use tools to adjust things and not trees.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • step83
    cooldad wrote:
    I have found that if everything is adjusted correctly things don't just come off. Probably helps to use tools to adjust things and not trees.

The tree was our impromtu bike stand i did use me tools ;)

Ill have a proper go through the Parks guide for chain length an setup its probably me being a plank not setting things up correctly. On that note, mech clearance should it be same as it would for a 3X9 setup? or should i treat my middle ring which is now the biggest as a guide for height?
  • The Rookie
    Step83 wrote:

Boinging down a section of roots and also on a couple of bumpyish fire trails
    Nach, inside or outside of the chainrings?

42-32 is 5 teeth on a 180 wrap so you should be removing 4 links (2 pairs) at least, maybe 3 pairs, unless the guide wasn't there on 3x10, size it properly as per SRAM/Shimano/Parktools (all end up at the same length!)

You want as much chain wrapped as possible, so always use the big chainring when there is a possibility of losing it, this will mean you use a larger sprocket at the rear than if you are using the granny.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    cooldad wrote:

This ^^

On rough stuff make sure you're using the middle ring and one of the biggest sprockets on the rear. If everything is setup properly you shouldn't be losing the chain.

Tom Barton wrote:

1. A new style clutch rear mech

These are only 10sp
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    Step83 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Ill have a proper go through the Parks guide for chain length an setup its probably me being a plank not setting things up correctly. On that note, mech clearance should it be same as it would for a 3X9 setup? or should i treat my middle ring which is now the biggest as a guide for height?

Yes, use your largest ring as the guide. So, if you've removed the old largest ring, you will need to lower the mech to the new largest ring. Assume you have set the H and L screws?
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • The Rookie
    Step83 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Yes, use your largest ring as the guide. So, if you've removed the old largest ring, you will need to lower the mech to the new largest ring. Assume you have set the H and L screws?
    Bad idea....you need to keep the form of the mech aligned with where it shifts, so unless you lower it all the way down (assuming you can) then your better off just running the mech so it aligns with the granny and middle as it did before.
  • step83
    Ive enough room to drop the mech down so it can sit just above the middle ring if needed. I can see the benefit as it cant throw the chain off the outer ring as easily.

Ill faff with the chain length tonight as that obviously wont affect the front mech and ill get a bundle of photos as well if itll help.
  • The Rookie
    So inside or outside?

A bash or outer guide ring will stop it coming off the outside!
  • step83
    Bash is on the outer problem im having is it dropping off the granny onto the frame
  • cooldad
    So adjust the mech properly, and don't ride in granny going down bumpy stuff. Save it for steep uphills.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • felix.london
    cooldad wrote:
    So adjust the mech properly, and don't ride in granny going down bumpy stuff. Save it for steep uphills.

again - listen to him ^^

..and him ↓
    On rough stuff make sure you're using the middle ring and one of the biggest sprockets on the rear. If everything is setup properly you shouldn't be losing the chain

Step83 wrote:
    Ill faff with the chain length tonight

And easier just to measure it properly once

Trek Session 8
  • step83
    cooldad wrote:

Mech is adjusted correctly it shifts up and down both fine, unless you mean the height of the mech. Photo i found below. Im assuming it needs to come down but im not touching it till i know

101_1988_zpsef4beaa5.jpg
  • felix.london
    woah dude..that doesn't look right at all!

Here's my 2x10 setup;

2013+-+1

When the mech is in the outer position it should only clear the bash guard by a couple of mm

Trek Session 8
  • The Rookie
    Well strictly if the original 42T was there is should only clear THAT by a couple of MM.

No chain guide needed, just building what you have properly!
  • step83
    Right, so it needs lowering? I asked somewhere else (not here) and was told to leave the mech as.
  • The Rookie
    It's clearly far to high, it's not lowering it as such, it's putting it where it should be in the first place!

If you asked about lowering it without showing that pic, then I'm not surprised at the answer.
  • cooldad
    I'm not sure that dangly thing does anything neither.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • step83
    It's clearly far to high, it's not lowering it as such, it's putting it where it should be in the first place!

If you asked about lowering it without showing that pic, then I'm not surprised at the answer.

Yeah can understand why, ive shortened the chain took 4 links out in total, ill drop the mech tomorrow
    cooldad wrote:
    I'm not sure that dangly thing does anything neither.

All ive noticed so far is a bit less chain slap, which is nice just wish it did more in terms of guiding the chain
  • cooldad
    Yeah, maybe, but everything was so out of whack how could you tell?
    The mechs guide the chain, a bit of neoprene or innertube on the chainstay quietens things down.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • step83
    Well ive dropped the mech as far as i can without fouling the chainstay. I dont think its low enough thought if im honest

temporary_zpse774a3b6.jpg
  • The Rookie
    Would ideally be 2mm clear of the 42T chainwheel that would normally be there......that looks a little high but 'OK', can go maybe 5mm lower?

Now try the same section making sure you're on the larger ring!
  • step83
    Would ideally be 2mm clear of the 42T chainwheel that would normally be there......that looks a little high but 'OK', can go maybe 5mm lower?

Now try the same section making sure you're on the larger ring!

Ill tease it a little lower tomorrow and hopefully hit the trails once ive taken a couple of links out of the chain
  • felix.london
    Step83 wrote:
    Step83 wrote:
    ive shortened the chain took 4 links out in total
    Step83 wrote:
    once ive taken a couple of links out of the chain

Not sure about all this. You just need to measure the chain to the correct length...once

Trek Session 8
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    Step83 wrote:
    Well ive dropped the mech as far as i can without fouling the chainstay. I dont think its low enough thought if im honest

temporary_zpse774a3b6.jpg

It's clearly lower than before. This may make things better, only a ride will tell. To get the correct chain length, bypass the rear mech and thread the new chain around the big chain ring and the biggest rear sprocket only. Bring the chain ends taut and together, and add two whole chain links (1inch). Remove any excess length of chain using a chain tool. This should give you the correct chain length for your gearing.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • step83
    Step83 wrote:
    Step83 wrote:
    ive shortened the chain took 4 links out in total
    Step83 wrote:
    once ive taken a couple of links out of the chain

Not sure about all this. You just need to measure the chain to the correct length...once

Yeah my bad on that id forgotten id actually done it already soon realised when i couldnt find the spare chain pins. I went for a little ride on it earlier as I got out of work early chain runs smoothly up and down all the gears. Im not going to get chance to try the rooty section now till Saturday at the earliest so i found a shallow stair case to use instead, didnt drop the chain in either the granny or mid ring. Acid test will come at the weekend really.
  • felix.london
    sounds like a good start. Good luck

Trek Session 8