Finally smashed the big 100

dannyharris
dannyharris Posts: 217
edited July 2013 in Road general
Shame we had a headwind all the way home.

https://www.strava.com/activities/63770372

Comments

• Well done! But another 900m and you'd have had a double metric century too! :wink:
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Exellent ride,well done.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • bigharj
    bigharj Posts: 78
    100 more like nearly 125!

I'm still trying to get regular long rides, deffo want to get my 100but the prospect of 7-8 hours of cycling is a huge mindset. How did you cope and what did you do to take your mind off the distance to go? Fast speed too!
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Well done, great day to do it too.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Where the hills at bro?

Nice job.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • dannyharris
    Double metric lol.

@bigharj been planned for 3 weeks. Done a few rides into the 90s so expected a hard ride.
    I carb loaded for 3 days before. Plenty of fluids the day before plenty of gels and fluids for the day. Drank 3 litres of water and powder mixes.
    We had fun all the way hitting 18mph all the way there.
    Had 30 min break when we arrived. That hurt we couldn't get back into it didn't help we had a headwind all the way home. The wind got stronger every mile. So pleased its done. But it was also flat. This was planned too.

@grill planned not to do hills. Tried a 60 mile in the winter through the Peak District. Ended up getting picked up 45 miles in.

Planning a 60 mile ride with the hills next. Hills are not good. Or should I say I'm no good at hills.
  • kitenski
    kitenski Posts: 218
    Looking at doing something similiar myself, maybe Leeds to Scarborough, did you train it back once you go there?? Or is that a there and back route, Strava doesn't seem to make it clear!!
  • dannyharris
    This is there and back. Took same route home probably why you can't see it.
    I wouldn't go at it solo tho. The moral support a friend gives helps you push to the end.
  • I7 Extreme
    I7 Extreme Posts: 228
    what was the average speed?
  • dannyharris
    16.6 overall.
  • bomb_d
    bomb_d Posts: 39
    nicely done!

i am about doing the london bikeathon in september so to hear how you did your 100 is a great bit of insparation!
  • dannyharris
    Good luck with that bikethon.

Glad to inspire someone, im still learning about cycling. So dont rely on my info.

From what I can gather its trial and error for how to complete big rides, I did struggle the last few miles.
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    From what I can gather its trial and error for how to complete big rides, I did struggle the last few miles.

nutrition and practice are all you need! :D
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Good stuff.
    bigharj wrote:
    the prospect of 7-8 hours of cycling is a huge mindset. How did you cope and what did you do to take your mind off the distance to go?
    Anything - play your in-house jukebox in your head, admire the view, change the computer to show time or something other than distance, have imaginary arguments with drivers who will or might have annoyed you, count tractors, play Yellow Car for a predetermined period of time, play car snooker (red colour red colour etc), whistle, or just empty your brain and enjoy some quality me-time where absolutely nothing happens in your skull whilst the bike rides itself for a while. Getting lost is a good distraction too. I expect.