Garmin 500. HELP!!

ct8282
ct8282 Posts: 414
edited July 2013 in Road buying advice
I picked up a Garmin 500 today as I managed to get a great deal on the performance pack with HR and cadence etc. however, I am having an issue with the data fields, specifically for speed!

When I configure the device for Statute UK I get the speed and average speed in mph, but the distance in feet. If I configure the device for metric I get the speed and average speed in kph and the distance in miles.

This is a mega deal breaker for me. I want speed and average speed in miles and distance in miles. Who the bloody hell has their distance set up for feet, seriously??

Help please.

Comments

• ct8282
    Ok, sorted that one. Damn thing automatically jumps to miles once you get going. Strange.

Anyway, anyone know the difference between satute and statute uk?
  • smbm
    smbm Posts: 37
    I've not managed to work this out either. I would like speed and average in miles when riding as it is easier at the time but everything else in metric.
  • ct8282
    Please refer to Rule #24.

Please point me to the rules again....
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    It measures feet until you get to 1 mile, then in miles...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    For metric I suspect it's showing distance in 'm' which is metres, not miles. Once you get to 1000m it'll change to km.
    More problems but still living....
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    Where was the great deal from?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    NapoleonD wrote:
    It measures feet until you get to 1 mile, then in miles...

Iirc, it measures ft until 5 hundred and something, then switches to 0.1 miles.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    This is the relevant rule: http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#24
  • ct8282
    porker33 wrote:
    Where was the great deal from?

But it from Freeborn who are my lbs based in Horsham.

You can get the premium pack with hrm (the premium soft one) and cadence sensor, and in any colour unit for £179.99.

Enjoy.
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    Tks for the heads up on the deal. :)
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    porker33 wrote:

Cheaper at Handtec.
    More problems but still living....
  • ct8282
    amaferanga wrote:
    porker33 wrote:

Cheaper at Handtec.

£203.88 at Handtec for the silver one which I got. The red version is indeed £171.59 if that colour floats your boat but also worth noting the Freeborn will price match that. :D
  • Squaggles
    Squaggles Posts: 875
    Can you buy the cadence sensor by itself ? What does it actually consist of ?
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • ct8282
    Squaggles wrote:
    Can you buy the cadence sensor by itself ? What does it actually consist of ?

I'm not actually sure but I would I,alone you can. It's essentially a 2 part thing. One part is a magnet that attaches to the inside of your crank. The other is a sensor that attaches to the chainstay where the magnet on the crank will pass it. This sensor will send a signal to the Garmin 500 (or whatever ANT+ computer you have) and tell it how many times per minute the crank is spinning.