CHEAP light advice please - ebay lights?

IceQubed
IceQubed Posts: 6
edited July 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi there, I'm looking to get some cheap lights for a new hybrid bike, and have found a couple of ideas on ebay. I think I should probably focus on getting a light with more of a 'flood' than 'throw' for the front light.

I found these two for example - they both seem good, and come with (probably awful) rear lights too.

2xCree Q5
or
CREE XM-L T6

The first one's major advantage is simply that there are two big light sources, however the second one may win here because it comes with a rechargeable battery which means I won't have to replace 2 x 3 AAA batteries every time they run out. I'm a bit worried that they will both be too directional, as I will mostly be riding around reasonably lit town streets.

Any thoughts or suggestions on better lights in the <£20 price range?

Comments

• turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    I got one of these for my night rides http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CREE-XM-L-XML-T6-LED-1800-Lm-Bicycle-bike-Head-Light-Headlamp-Rechargeable-Head-/251288567677?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item3a81f73f7d well not the same seller but from china.
    The light is insanely bright, rechargable and with different modes / power settings is everything you could want.
    Highly recommended......only thing is the bracket isn't great so I replaced with a Hope one (with a small amount of work with a Dremel :-) )
  • IceQubed
    Thanks, I am leaning toward that Cree XM-L one - does anybody know of a good bracket which would fit this light without having to modify it?
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    IceQubed wrote:
    Thanks, I am leaning toward that Cree XM-L one - does anybody know of a good bracket which would fit this light without having to modify it?

its only where the cable goes that needs a small tweek....nothing realy. Someone on ebay was selling the Hope bracket modified but was charging like double !
  • The wisdom on bike lights is here -

viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12660193
  • IceQubed
    I looked at that but it runs about £50 whereas this could be only about £20
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,511
    I have the pair of Q5 lights for commuting - lights are OK, brackets feel cheap but have lasted fine so far. Back light was very fragile but once I glued the cover on it's been fine as a backup light attached to my rucksack.

They're more than bright enough for commuting - I put one on constant & one on flashing when riding in the dark. I have loads of rechargeable AAA batteries anyway so that's not a problem - having 2 means that you have a back-up if you run one of them down completely.
  • IceQubed wrote:
    I looked at that but it runs about £50 whereas this could be only about £20

It may well be but that set up works and is tried and tested