what pump to get

georgemarshall
georgemarshall Posts: 48
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
hi iv decided to get a specialized rockhopper comp 2014 so im looking for a pump that is handy enough to strap to the frame of bike also the valve is a thin type not sure what its called any advice please.

Comments

• also i need some lights if any one can help
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I wouldn't, you could do much better for your money, but they are called Presta, most pumps do both and I would get a track pump and a mini pump. Topeak make decent reasonable pumps.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • £850 im restricted to bike replacement website through wheelies as its a insurance claim to replace my specialized rockhopper 2012. do you have any suggestions
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    I got one of these for £9.99. Lifetime guarantee, alloy body, rebuildable, fits both valve types and comes with a frame bracket, and does the pumping job just fine:

IMG_5299.jpg
  • cooldad
    I use a Blackburn Airstick - red anodised shaft so you can pump faster. Decent pumps.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Insert inuendo about pumping stiff red shaft here...
  • cooldad
    You are welcome to anodise your inuendo. I'll stick to butter.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Blackburn Airstick, Specialized Airtool mini (the one I've got) or Topeak - all for emergency use only! Get a track pump as well, because you won't always want to whip your elbow into a blur for fifteen minutes to get your tyres pumped up
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Giraffoto wrote:
    Topeak

This one

Mountain Morph;

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=2908

this was my main (only) pump for 2 years - great little (kinda mid-sized really) pump. It works like a mini-track pump
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    £850 im restricted to bike replacement website through wheelies as its a insurance claim to replace my specialized rockhopper 2012. do you have any suggestions

You must be able to do better than the Rockhopper. Post up some of your options and you'll get some opinions. Otherwise take the cash alternative (there must be one) and go and buy a Boardman comp or Team, Rockrider 8.1 or take a look at some deals at Pauls Cycles.
  • felix.london
    Although I'd agree (so many better value bikes in that price range) not sure how you'd argue that as they (the insurance co) are swapping like for like. Unless you can prove that the 2012 version had a far superior spec than the 2014 version..which is probably the case anyway!

Trek Session 8
  • chrisw333
    Although I'd agree (so many better value bikes in that price range) not sure how you'd argue that as they (the insurance co) are swapping like for like. Unless you can prove that the 2012 version had a far superior spec than the 2014 version..which is probably the case anyway!

you may be right, but thought most companies at least gave you a choice of bike? with Wheelies (through M&S) I was offered a choice of bike up to a certain figure or a cash settlement (albeit a lower figure)
  • my option was 900 quid and i could choose any bike or accessories with that from bike replacement through wheelies. or 625 cash iv opted for the rockhopper 2014 looks nice and also i had to make a decision. all i need now is a chain lock and floor anchor so the bastards wont rob it
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I wouldn't strap the pump to the bike. Get a rucksack. It saves the pump getting caked in crap and not working when you need it.
  • my option was 900 quid and i could choose any bike or accessories with that from bike replacement through wheelies. or 625 cash iv opted for the rockhopper 2014 looks nice and also i had to make a decision. all i need now is a chain lock and floor anchor so the bastards wont rob it

dont rob the bike
  • slindborg
    slindborg Posts: 98
    mcnultycop wrote:
    I wouldn't strap the pump to the bike. Get a rucksack. It saves the pump getting caked in crap and not working when you need it.

What he said!!
    I have a topeak mini pump and it was mounted to the frame and it just gets filled with crap on every ride, no matter what way round I mount it etc. It now lives in my backpack and I just settle that it gets worn every ride :lol:
  • gt karakoram 1.0 2013
    felt nine 50 2013
    lapierre raid 529 29er
    lapierre raid 729 29er
    giant talon 2 2013
    giant talon 29er 2013
    cannondale trail sl 2 2013
    connondale trail sl 2013
    cannondale sl 29er 2013
    gt zasker 9r sport
    rockhopper comp 2014
  • cooldad
    gt karakoram 1.0 2013
    felt nine 50 2013
    lapierre raid 529 29er
    lapierre raid 729 29er
    giant talon 2 2013
    giant talon 29er 2013
    cannondale trail sl 2 2013
    connondale trail sl 2013
    cannondale sl 29er 2013
    gt zasker 9r sport
    rockhopper comp 2014
    ???????????????????????????
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • felix.london
    Eeny, meeny, miny, moe...

Trek Session 8
  • chrisw333
    Look, if its not too late just take the cash and go and buy a Boardman Comp from Halfords or a Rockrider 8.1 from Decathlon.

If it is too late, I hope you enjoy the bike and if you do get the bug then you can upgrade a few (lot)bits and you'll have a nice bike.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Anyone used the topeak race rocket?

I'm looking for a pump that will easily fit in my jersey pocket for my mtb, but also pump up to 100 psi for road tyres.

I have this topeak one currently which works brilliantly but its too big!