Should the NHS pay VAT ?

pinno
pinno Posts: 51,318
edited July 2013 in The cake stop
Raises some questions.

1. Its funded by us through the taxation system by central govt. If they pay VAT, it goes back into the national pot that pays the NHS anyway, surely?
2. It is under enormous pressure anyway 'cos of all the fat lazy baskets with diabetes and ill health caused by there own volition* (there are exceptions T47b, so easy on the hate mail). Is the clampdown on VAT recovery going to push costs up even further? *Oncology costs are phenominal as breakthrough treatments emerge too.
3. Don't we benefit from the NHS avoiding the dreaded VAT?
4. Is it morally wrong in the light of exhorbitant tax aviodance by Amazon, Starbucks etc.
5. Value added tax - Is VAT morally wrong anyway and should be reconsidered.
For example:

Car part £x
Carriage £y
Vat 20%

Total bill z, incl. of VAT. I paid VAT on friggin the courier? In what way am I getting value added on courier costs? Is ithe parcel wrapped up in a prettier ribbon 'cos I paid VAT?
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Who or what is/are T47b ?.

I'm type one diabetic which was caused 43 years ago when I was just under 10stone by a generic disposition to the disease. As are all? type one diabetics - insulin injection. Type two pills/exercise as treatment have tended to be caused by over eating or/and lack of exercise. There rant over.

Re original post - if NHS pays VAT then they will need more money to pay it from taxation coffers so a loss would occur equal to the cost of collection. Therefore in this particular instance in a non profit making institution it is a waste of time and effort.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Total bill z, incl. of VAT. I paid VAT on friggin the courier? In what way am I getting value added on courier costs? Is ithe parcel wrapped up in a prettier ribbon 'cos I paid VAT?
    VAT on NHS makes no sense but in the case outlined above it is fairly simple.
    The courier has to pay VAT, so they charge VAT. VAT applies to services as well as products.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • tebbit
    tebbit Posts: 604
    The VAT is claimed back by businesses (for sake of argument I am including the NHS as a business), so in the end it becomes a recycling of funds issue. Which means that funds are spent administering the NHS VAT bill which could be spent on patient services. With reference to the courier, if you were a business you would simply claim the VAT back, so effectively the only people who pay VAT are consumers, the tax payers and you pay VAT on duty, which is a tax upon a tax, think fuel also think beer.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    I'm a public sector worker, I get paid from general taxes so I shouldn't pay income tax or VAT.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Pinarello, I don't remember this being in your manifesto when you were asking people to vote for you. :?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,473
    mrfpb wrote:
    I'm a public sector worker, I get paid from general taxes so I shouldn't pay income tax or VAT.

Agreed but you will obviously accept a corresponding cut in salary?
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Actually yes, but with a bonus for the resulting gains through all that admin not happening.
  • pinno
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Pinarello, I don't remember this being in your manifesto when you were asking people to vote for you. :?

There was a news item where certain NHS trusts were avoiding paying VAT using varous methods.

...and BTW - it was in my manifesto - I will remove VAT completely.

Vote for me!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    plowmar wrote:
    Who or what is/are T47b ?.

Me. Rare mutant diabetic variety,Type 47b :D

Genetic, insulin dependent T2, 55kgs racing snake. Not a lifestyle choice diabesity T2.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • pinno
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Schools (ie state education) have to pay VAT and are unavle to reclaim it like a business would. Why is the NHS different?
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Mouth wrote:
    Schools (ie state education) have to pay VAT and are unavle to reclaim it like a business would. Why is the NHS different?
    Job creation scheme. Innit? :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.