Carrera Virago

martin999159
martin999159 Posts: 6
edited June 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi can any one please give me advice as what I should expect from the Carrera Virago Carbon bike from Halfords(£899, Its got a mix of shimano 105 gearing and shifters and a tiagra rear cassette, the problem is that Halfords only give a 2year guarantee on the carbon frame when most if not all other carbon frame from Scott, Giant, Trek ect give a life time guarantee so if you have this bike or have had it advice is welcome please.

Comments

• supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    What do you intend to use the bike for? I can't help thinking an aluminium framed bike at that price point might be a better option. Halfords will divide opinion an I'd say the Boardman Team would be a better bike from them at the price.
  • Hi for quite a while now ive been using my mountian bike on my days off with road tyers on to do mile from 40 to 80 with some serious climbs of 25% and even at 51 I like to push myself to do the best I can time and distance wise, Even though ive put the Virago carbon down I am willing to look at others as long as they have a compact gearing.
  • KonkyWonky
    KonkyWonky Posts: 186
    The Virago gets fairly decent reviews but personally I would rather have a very good AL frame than a bottom of the rung Carbon. By going AL you will get a full Shimano 105 groupset at the same price range.

At the end of the day though it's a personal decision.
    2013 Canyon Ultimate AL 7.0
    2003 Specialized Allez Sport
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    If you could stretch to about £950/£1000 you could get a cr1 pro carbon frame for £435 or £480 after quidco cashback from westbrook, a full 105 groupset for £330 after quidco cashback from merlin, a set of R501's from ribble for £70 and then you just need stem, handlebars and seatpost.

I know what I would rather have :-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • KonkyWonky
    KonkyWonky Posts: 186
    Take a look at the Canyon Roadlite assuming you are comfortable ordering online.

http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/ser ... te-al.html

Full Shimano 105 groupset and Mavic Aksium wheelset built on a relaxed geometry frame for £859.
    2013 Canyon Ultimate AL 7.0
    2003 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Hollow-legs
    Hollow-legs Posts: 142
    If you do want carbon ,,,why not go for a MEKK 2g poggio 105 ,wiggle selling them for the same price as the virago..£899.00 I think the MEKK is a better bike!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mekk-2g-poggio-p20-105/

You could try a ribble evo pro carbon with shimano tiagra groupset and upgraded shimano r501 wheelset yours for £855.00
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sed/road- ... =conf_SERC
  • wheelie-bin
    wheelie-bin Posts: 124
    As far as I'm aware they're pretty low on stock across the whole country as they're obsolete, so unless your local store has your size it could be a fanny on getting one. Boardman Team would be a better choice IMO :)
  • neal1984
    neal1984 Posts: 240
    Boardman Team Carbon LTD £999.99
    Minus Halfords web promotion @10% = £899.99
    Minus British cycling member discount @10% = £810
    Minus Quidco cash back @ 3% = £785
    Seems like a blinding deal for a branded carbon bike to me. So much so I've just bought one...

Ok so £24 a year for British Cycling membership minus £10 quidco so £14 if your not already a member but many benefits included!

Life is like riding a bicycle: you don't fall off unless you stop pedaling.

Scott Foil Team Issue HMX Di2
    Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • ct8282
    ct8282 Posts: 414
    My mate rides the Carrera. He's had it for about 18 months and loves it. He rides TT's on it, sportives and pretty much anything else you can suggest.

I went out for the first time with him a couple of weeks ago on my Giant TCR which was £2500 and he absolutely embarrassed me (I've only been riding for 2 months though :D ). He can do a 10 mile TT and average 25mph! At best I have averaged 17.2mph over 17 miles so he's way ahead and proves that you don't need a very expensive bike to perform.

I have to say, I very much like the look of his Carrera. If my budget was only £1000 I would have strongly considered the Virago based on his experience with it.
  • Hi ct can you get your mate to send me an email about his views on the virago please if you don't mind (martin.warburton@tiscali.co.uk) cheers and thanks for your reply.
  • ct8282
    ct8282 Posts: 414
    Hi ct can you get your mate to send me an email about his views on the virago please if you don't mind (martin.warburton@tiscali.co.uk) cheers and thanks for your reply.

Err, to be honest no. I don't think he'll be arsed to do that as it goes. Sorry.

I am happy to share with you that he does rate the bike an awful lot.