Pulling the trigger

nine_tails
nine_tails Posts: 11
edited June 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi Guys!

I have been sitting on getting a bike for a while , and today I went down to the decathalon and tried a few. I am in love with the Fit 3. The bike feels absolutely great. I tried the dark horse triban 3, but I am not down with the curved handles.

I am mainly going to use the bike for work commuting (4-5 miles) and weekend rides , I might do long distance, but right now my priority is to get started.

So my choices are :

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/original-5-n ... 65506.html

or

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/fit-3-road-b ... 39797.html

I am leaning towards fit 3 as it just felt right for me. Heart says Fit 3 , but the mind says Original 5 as I would like to have the option of riding on foothpaths and may be a slight offroad.

Any one owns either or can one of you guys please look at the specs provide some light? With the fit3, I'd like some advice to pick up the right frame, I tried the 57 and 54 but really could not feel the difference. Is there anything in particular I should be looking for with frame sizes?

In terms of accessories...

What would you guys recommend to add to the bikes.

- Any particular lock, the U lock was about 25£ , could do with something cheaper?
- Helmet - Again 25 pounds.
- Jumper - Again 25 pounds...

I plan to pick it up tommorrow , so if any one is online this wonderful evening. Please reply :)

Cheers!

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd get a bike with drops. Much comfier for longer distances.
    As to helmets - they all meet the same standards so try some on and buy the comfiest.
    Jerseys - for your distances - id just wear a teeshirt I think. At least in the summer anyway.
  • nine_tails
    Thank you guys. I'll pick up the 54 tomorrow.

Cheers!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    God please dont buy either of those, you are throwing money away, go to a bike shop and spend you hard earned on a real bike.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • nine_tails
    itboffin wrote:
    God please dont buy either of those, you are throwing money away, go to a bike shop and spend you hard earned on a real bike.

Care to elaborate please? From what i have read Decathalon is good bang for the buck. I do not wish to get a second hand as I know jack about it. Curved handles are uncomfortable for me.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    yes 2nd hand can be a minefield but both of those lumps you listed will be heavy cheap and hard work, if you want to get into cycling then do yourself a favour and spend some time looking for deals on the classifieds, i sold my Dolan recently for £350 it cost near £1000 new and whilst not new or light its a bike you could ride forever without upgrading or regretting having spend a bit more on used.

Those Decathalon and Halfords specials are that cheap because they're not very good, they look fine but long term will be hard work and ultimately put you off cycling.

I think Chris Boardman has really helped by providing a range of medium quality bikes in just the right price/phase bracket, if you really want new look there or someone like Ribblecycles.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You can't ride a bike on footpaths. If you meant towpaths or trails then any road bike can cope with that.
    Road bikes aren't fragile - check out what they race over at Paris roubaix. There's no need for a chunky bike.
  • nine_tails
    Ok. So I did a 180. I had tried the 3A yesterday and they said they were out of original Triban 3. Today they said they had a few from the pre-booking which never got picked up. So they put a 54 size for me, it felt like butter. So one thing led to another and now......

7w60.jpg