Snapped bolt head

pesky_jones
pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Was just tinkering with the bike and tightening some bolts etc ready for tomorrow, and managed to snap the head off a bolt.

I can't even work out what the bolt really does to be honest. I should imagine I need to replace it at some point as muck will build up but for now is it rideable? The pedals not going fly off or anything is it?

image_zps6c1dc86c.jpg

Here's one with the snapped bolt head resting on the pedal

image_zpsca3f7187.jpg

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Was just tinkering with the bike and tightening some bolts etc ready for tomorrow, and managed to snap the head off a bolt.
    I can't even work out what the bolt really does to be honest

Put down the allen keys and step away from the bike...

It's the end cap for the pedal, gives you access to the bearings if you undo that nut. It's not an immediate problem, but it does mean your pedals will fill with crap and wear out quickly as there's now nothing protecting the bearings.

May I recommend in future not randomly over tightening things, particularly when you don't know what they actually do?
  • pesky_jones
    edited June 2013
    njee20 wrote:
    I can't even work out what the bolt really does to be honest

Put down the allen keys and step away from the bike...

It's the end cap for the pedal, gives you access to the bearings if you undo that nut. It's not an immediate problem, but it does mean your pedals will fill with crap and wear out quickly as there's now nothing protecting the bearings.

May I recommend in future not randomly over tightening things, particularly when you don't know what they actually do?

By tightening, I meant checking not loose. I hardly turned the Allen key. I wasn't over tightening anything.

Thanks though, I assumed it was the cap but couldn't work out why it had to be a rather large bolt for a simple job
  • pesky_jones
    Could even be plastic and do that job
  • 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    I'd superglue it back in place.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    they are known to break. and it is a pain to get the remains out.

not much you can do other than carefully cut the remains out. but then you can not get spares.

top tip when checking things undo is the safest direction.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Try and find a plastic grommit to fit the hole!

That'll do for now, until you get round to buying some new ones! Lol
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    A smear of silicone shower sealant will plug the hole till you can get the remains of the cap out. Just dont fill the pedal with silicone and you will be able to pick it out later.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap