Dilemma: DA7900 w/pimp wheels or DA9000 w/okay wheels

Grill
Grill Posts: 5,610
edited June 2013 in Road buying advice
As some of you know I will be receiving my new WyndyMilla Massive Attack in a couple weeks. I had planned to build it up with a full Dura Ace 7900 which I have laying about, but now that DA 9000 can be had for £1k it got me thinking that perhaps I should upgrade.

The biggest issue I have is with the 11 speed as I have a pair of Reynolds RZR 46 Teams that I love more than any woman I've met (except perhaps my mother... perhaps). I've contacted Reynolds and they've informed me that there is no way to change the RZR hub to accept 11spd so if I want 9000 I'd have to buy a new wheelset.

So should I go for DA9000 and just accept that I'll have to sell the best wheels ever made and roll on inferiority for the foreseeable future, or save myself an assload of cash and roll on 7900 knowing that even though I roll on the dopest kicks, I'm out of date on the gruppo?

Suggestions on a postcard please.
English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg

Comments

• Sell your liver and get Di2 9070.

That massive attack deserves to be treated...
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Keep the wheels they are amazing. 1 extra gear? I wouldnt notice the difference as much as i would them wheels. 7900 is a great groupset i have the same.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    No need for 11 speed. It will wear out much quicker and you have to junk your fave wheels.

No brainer for me 7900.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • I'm with Smidsy. Upgrade when you replace your wheels.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • canny_lad
    canny_lad Posts: 329
    I'll swap the RZR's for my RS10's plus £100. That's more than enough to cover an 11 speed hub, so you can have 9000 on your Wyndy.

Just one concern - will the RZR's slow me down on the hills :shock:
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    smidsy wrote:
    No need for 11 speed. It will wear out much quicker

Everyone says that every single time a manufacturer adds a new gear :lol:
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Canny lad wrote:
    I'll swap the RZR's for my RS10's plus £100. That's more than enough to cover an 11 speed hub, so you can have 9000 on your Wyndy.

Just one concern - will the RZR's slow me down on the hills :shock:

Considering the RZR's mounted will be 1kg lighter than the RS10's I think you would manage ;)
    I climb like a god on the RZRs.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    smidsy wrote:
    No need for 11 speed. It will wear out much quicker

Everyone says that every single time a manufacturer adds a new gear :lol:

That's because it's true. Campagnolo 6-7 speed systems are pretty much all still alive, unless someone decided to throw them away... just look on ebay how much super record stuff is still around... 8 speed were pretty much the same, including the Ergos... very well built. 9 Speed was still good, but we start having the first issues... 10 speed was generaly considered a disposable drivetrain, unless you bought the top end which is more durable, but nowhere near as durable as 8 speed. 11 speed for what I have seen on Campagnolo is not even good, let alone durable and for the sake of adding the 16 T sprocket to a cassette, it is really not worth to bother... I manage pretty well with a 15 or a 17, don't need every possible gear combination to be happy. Some feel they can't cycle their local hill or go for a 100 Km ride if they don't have everything it is possible to fit on a bike... 11 sprockets, the latest GPS navigation system, the ultimate tyre, the lightest wheel, the stiffest frame, the ceramic bearing with no friction and all the sport nutrition available to mankind... and even then... there is that tiny creak or that freewheel noise... very annoying... need an upgrade... :lol:
    left the forum March 2023