BB30 non drive side crank removal

shamblesuk
shamblesuk Posts: 11
edited June 2013 in Workshop
So I've googled and googled and got nowwhere.

Trying to remove the crank arms and getting stuck straight away. Have removed the 10mm hex key easily enough and need to take off the non drive side arm. I've bashed it with a mallet as has the guy at my LBS. Tried to prise it off but against a crabon frame I ain't going to try too hard. Also tried to knock out the drive side. Again - didn't shift an inch!

It doesn't have a self-extracting thread or anything. Also tried to bash out the drive side to no effect.

Any ideas?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    most BB30 are one key release. as in that the bolt you have undone presses on a ring that removes the arm. the other arm and axle is pushed out.

read the manual for your make of cranks for full details.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • shamblesuk
    I've read that but I don't seem to have the fitting in question. Once you extract the bolt there's nothing else going on, the arm is not being pulled as if it was self-extracting.

I'd upload a photo but website just keeps giving error messages.
  • nicklouse
    make and model then.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • shamblesuk
    FSA Gossamer BB 30
  • nicklouse
    that has a self extracting bolt assy. No 6
    http://www.fullspeedahead.com/storage/i ... 0Bryan.pdf
  • xscreamsuk
    xscreamsuk Posts: 318
    I have the same crankset, just undo the hex bolt fully and the crank drops off, bit of a push and the drive side drops off as well. If not then there may be some corrosion going on between the 2 halves. A decent LBS will surely sort it. I have zero bike mechanic knowledge but took mine off this week in anticipation of power meter arrival next week. It's a 5 minute max job to swap cranks from one BB30 to another.
  • shamblesuk
    Mine doesn't have the first two bits (from left to right) in picture 6. It only has the short (1 inch) bolt and washer. There is no self-extracting 'anything'....
  • nicklouse
    then it has either not been fitted or fallen out.

you will need a suitable crank puller not sure there are any actually. or the missing bits. or take it to a good bike shop.
  • shamblesuk
    So if I work this out right, the piece I'm missing screws into the thread of the crank arm, and to remopve the crank arm I unscrew the 10mm hex which then pushes back against the missing bit, pulling off the arm?

PS my LBS tried a puller and it didn't work, seems to have been glued on by the previous owner.
  • Barrzy257
    Barrzy257 Posts: 411
    I had this issue with a crank bought through eBay, put it on in a rush to realise the extracting bolt and retaining bolt had been lost and replaced with one with just a dust cap. I measured the thread diameters then ordered a new bolt pack, crisis averted!
  • Barrzy257
    Barrzy257 Posts: 411
    shamblesuk wrote:
    So if I work this out right, the piece I'm missing screws into the thread of the crank arm, and to remopve the crank arm I unscrew the 10mm hex which then pushes back against the missing bit, pulling off the arm?

PS my LBS tried a puller and it didn't work, seems to have been glued on by the previous owner.
    The larger 10mm "cap" shouldn't be touched, on mine the bolt behind it has a 6mm allen head and that's the one you unscrew, that will then press in the "cap" pushing off the non drive side crank. Do not use a pulley, the diameter of the "cap" thead is 22 or 24 I think, when you use a pulley this is likely to strip the thread.
    Google FSA self extracting crank bolts, you just need the right size. The guy at the LBS sounds a useless mechanic...