Can't get my bar ends in?!

alihisgreat
alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
edited June 2013 in Workshop
Just wrapped some Fizik Microtex and I can't get the supplied bar ends in all the way :?

I put the Lizard Skins ones I had previously in there as a temporary fix, but they are working loose so I want to get the Fizik ones in there.

Should I cut the overhanging bar tape down a bit?

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Yes, then hit it with a big hammer.

(I do use a hammer for gentle persuasion, along with a small flat-blade screwdriver to push the excess bar tape into place gently).
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    You might want to have something between the bar ends and the 'ammer, like a block of wood.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Do they have a screw to spread the insert once they are in? This might need to be loosened to get them in.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Just wrapped some Fizik Microtex and I can't get the supplied bar ends in all the way :?

I put the Lizard Skins ones I had previously in there as a temporary fix, but they are working loose so I want to get the Fizik ones in there.

Should I cut the overhanging bar tape down a bit?

I,ve just done mine. Have to say was a bugger getting the plugs in but i,ve got strong thumbs and after some pushing they did go in.I,d cut the tape down and try and fit the plugs. Am not a big fan of using hammers on bikes even for bar end plugs.
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    How did you find wrapping it apart from that? Mines really lumpy :(

Don't think it likes the bend on my compact bars.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Kept the tape really tight but didnt like the result first time so took it off and did it a second time looks great now am pleased with it. Its not as pliable as many other tapes i,ve used but once on the bars it looks excellent.In fact i,d go as far as to say its probably the best looking bar tape i,ve ever used.
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Don't use a metal hammer if you're going this route - rubber or wooden mallet. £5 or so from B & Q and it'll last forever.

Remember - always use the same material hammer/mallet as the thing you're smashing into smithereens.