On one fatty

Sarnian
Sarnian Posts: 1,451
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
Looking for a bit of feed back on a on one fatty, thinking of getting one but I've never riden a fatty and never even seen one in person so wondering what they ride like, they look like a laugh to ride. I do have a a few miles of road (3-5) to get to my trails and was wondering if it would be a bit of a slug on the road and up hills (not that I'm totally unfit lol)
It's not a ornament, so ride It

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I've only ridden one round a rough car park and up and down some little drops and kerbs. I wanted one, but don't have the space (or a spare grand). It felt pretty weighty, but superb fun.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I rode a Surly Moonlander round a car park and money/space no object I'd have had it - cornered very nicely and seemed to have some perpetual motion machine in it - a few turns of the pedals and we were off with apparently no further power input needed. Surprisingly easy to get rolling too.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I rode one for a few miles arounf my local trails. Bloody aweful, too much drag, terrible steering, heavy and pointless.
    I wouldnt waste my money on one. Its just another fashion thing.
  • Barrelmaker
    Barrelmaker Posts: 188
    A mate of mine has one. He really likes it. For reference he also has a 456 carbon and a yeti 575 so can pick and choose what he rides. He has done a few peaks rides on it and our local loop that is about 20 mile without any issues. I wouldn't have one though. Too much of a niche and the tyres are expensive.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I've had a short ride on a full fatty while one of the group was fixing a puncture, despite weighing nearly 40lbs it picked up speed quite readily and then just rolled over stuff as if it wasn't there, I could certainly see the appeal although I wouldn't have one.

Don't forget to budget for a 100mm compatable crankset if you are looking at the £499 frameset option.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Sarnian
    Sarnian Posts: 1,451
    I've had a short ride on a full fatty while one of the group was fixing a puncture, despite weighing nearly 40lbs it picked up speed quite readily and then just rolled over stuff as if it wasn't there, I could certainly see the appeal although I wouldn't have one.

Don't forget to budget for a 100mm compatable crankset if you are looking at the £499 frameset option.

Thanks for pointing the crank set out, I was thinking I could use one of the spare ones in the shed, the 100mm had slipt my mind :roll:
    It's not a ornament, so ride It