The Tartare Sauce Thread

mfin
mfin Posts: 6,729
edited July 2013 in The cake stop
So, which brand is the best and tastiest?

Plus, any good recipes for homemade?

...the answer to the first question is, I reckon, and it pains me to say, Marks & Spencer.

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    2 eggs (yolks only)
    1 tsp Dijon mustard
    Salt & black pepper
    250ml groundnut oil
    250ml olive oil
    juice of ½ a lemon
    1 tbsp chopped tarragon (has to be fresh! not dried)
    1 tbsp rinsed capers
    1 tbsp chopped gherkins
    2 tbsp chopped parsley

Make a mayonnaise by mixing 2 egg yolks, 1 tsp of Dijon mustard and a little salt and black pepper, then slowly whisk in 250ml each of groundnut oil and olive oil, a little at a time. Thin slightly with the juice of half a lemon. Stir in 1 tbsp each of chopped tarragon, rinsed capers and chopped gherkins, plus 2 tbsp of chopped parsley

you could cheat and use Hellmans and add other ingredients, although homemade mayo is best.

Try not to kill anything to enjoy this sauce with :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Add a spoonful of Wasabi or horseradish
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I like making it by making mayo, then adding that to 2 finely chopped hard boiled eggs, loads of chopped capers and absolutely loads of chopped gherkins, salt, pepper, lemon zest and a load of dill and parsley.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    But what should it accompany?

Obviously there is fish/scampi and chips, but I'd also like to nominate fried cheese and chips.

1237214671_79.jpg
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    ... with roast potatoes or BBQ'd courgette or with poppadoms instead of raita :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • scott-s30
    scott-s30 Posts: 45
    Always have it with my mixed grill at the Groes Wen Inn in Newport, no-one else's mixed grill comes close!