Can a male ride a womans bike.

NITR8s
NITR8s Posts: 688
edited June 2013 in Road general
I am after a TT bike and I have seen one that is very well priced and speced and would fit me nicely, however it is specified as a womens bike.

Obviously i am a short ass at only 5 foot 4, hence why a womens specific bike would fit.

What are everyones views on this.

Comments

• me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Don't see why not, though it may come with pink accents or swirly flowers on the paint. Your choice.
  • NITR8s
    This ones black with a purple saddle and a small bit of purple trim on wheels and rearstay. After ive changed the saddle to a black male specific saddle, it will lower the overall girlyness of the bike.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Leave the saddle alone and express your feminine side.
  • NITR8s
    Do you think if i use a womens bike, I can switch my sex on strava to female and start getting lots and lots of QOM?
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    i'd be careful, they are designed for multitasking, something men cannot do! so pedalling whilst steering can be problematic
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • If one week a month you find yourself pedalling and singing along to Dr Albans 80's hit "It's my life" then probably time to think about switching back.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Only if you agree not to remove the pink tassles on the handlebars and insist on carrying your rucksack in the basket on the handlebars.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Druidor
    Druidor Posts: 230
    pimp it out with a wicker basket, little bell & sparkles.. You will fit in well at the races
    ---
    Sensa Trentino SL Custom 2013 - 105 Compact - Aksium Race
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    To be serious for a moment (sorry :oops:) women's bikes can have smaller gear/brake levers because of the smaller hands. You may want to worry a little about that.
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Redbeard_Rum.gif

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrh me laddie. you have a woman's bike. I'll wager you that bike wouldn't last two strokes of the pedals if a man were astride it.

Sorry couldn't resist it :)
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    If one week a month you find yourself pedalling and singing along to Dr Albans 80's hit "It's my life" then probably time to think about switching back.

Or the "bodyform" music :lol:
  • Calpol wrote:
    Redbeard_Rum.gif

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrh me laddie. you have a woman's bike. I'll wager you that bike wouldn't last two strokes of the pedals if a man were astride it.

Sorry couldn't resist it :)

:lol::lol::lol:
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    I sometimes ride my daughters 16" Molly when she insists on swapping over to her scooter at the park. Well, until I smashed her hello kitty bell off with my knee.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    ok politely ignoring most of that :roll: , though the brakes and gear levers bit is right they are smaller :) height isnt going to be the issue with a womans specific bike, assuming it really is and doesnt just have pink stickers stuck on it.

but you should find at least the handlebars width is narrower and the drop/reach will be smaller, the top tube should be shorter in length too so you might get some toe-overlap, and the seat post angle will be different.

so you might fit its only going to be an inch or a degree different, but it might end up being jolly uncomfortable after a long distance ride, I dont know Id go for a try out ride at least before buying IMO as I still see lots of women (even at club levels) riding male sized bikes presumably without problem,
  • A female friend insists that "woman specific" is an excuse for manufacturers to charge the same price for lesser specifications or a higher price for the same specifications compared to the equivalent bike in their male range. She therefore rides men's bikes in frame sizes appropriate to her height, and reports no problems. I presume the reverse would be true; if you can find a woman specific bike the right frame size it will be OK, though if my friend is right about the price thing you might be paying over the odds for what you're getting.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    A female friend insists that "woman specific" is an excuse for manufacturers to charge the same price for lesser specifications or a higher price for the same specifications compared to the equivalent bike in their male range. She therefore rides men's bikes in frame sizes appropriate to her height, and reports no problems. I presume the reverse would be true; if you can find a woman specific bike the right frame size it will be OK, though if my friend is right about the price thing you might be paying over the odds for what you're getting.

I'd go along with that.

Men's and women's geometries aren't all that different really, I've seen some research which suggests geographical geometries (thats confusing to type) are much more recognisable. So it would make more sense to have a range of Asian bikes, European bikes etc
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes