speed / power online calculator

JamesB
JamesB Posts: 1,184
edited June 2013 in Road general
I`ve recently come across this http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm
---having input my speed and hill grade from Garmin at time and my weight, bike weight I`m finding that for hills of 5 -10% grade I`m apparently producing 300W

This to me seems high, I`d have thought average cyclist---which is me, mid placings on Sportives---would be nearer 200 W.

Anyone else tried this, and is it accurate?

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Power Meter is the only sure-fire way to know your wattage.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Watt!?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    JamesB wrote:
    This to me seems high, I`d have thought average cyclist---which is me, mid placings on Sportives---would be nearer 200

Two possibilities:

1. you are significantly better than you think you are
    2. the website estimates are wildly inaccurate

Which one do you reckon?
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    300w isn't particularly high, I can maintain 300w for over an hour and I am not a particularly quick rider.
  • JamesB
    Two possibilities:

1. you are significantly better than you think you are
    2. the website estimates are wildly inaccurate
    I have no idea !! :roll: which is why I was asking in first place--maybe someone out there runs a power meter and has cross checked the website, that would show which scenario is right.

AND I have no intention of buying a power meter either...........
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    In that case power figures can't be that important to you and I'd suggest you stop wasting your time on silly websites :P
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    danowat wrote:
    300w isn't particularly high, I can maintain 300w for over an hour and I am not a particularly quick rider.

For your average cyclist 300W for an hour is a lot.

But for your average cyclist 300W for a few minutes up a hill isn't a lot.
    More problems but still living....
  • JamesB
    In that case power figures can't be that important to you and I'd suggest you stop wasting your time on silly websites :P

Oh dear and I suppose because I ride with mudguards too I`m too be derided :?: :roll:

Initially only reason I looked at `silly website` was to see how much difference a kg made on speed uphill---which isn`t a lot btw--- just passing interest in power and hoped for useful replies, of which I have had some