Could a noob change a wheelset?

Garyh09
Garyh09 Posts: 22
edited June 2013 in Workshop
How hard would It be to change my wheels over from triban 3 wheels to shimano 501's? Is there much involved or would I be better just taking it to the lbs?

Comments

• schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    edited June 2013
    You'll just need to take the cassette, tube and tyres off the existing wheels and put them on the new wheels. You could, of course, buy a new cassette, tubes and tyres and have two sets of wheels and use the 'old' ones through winter.

Taking the tyre off and fitting it again requires , at most, a tyre lever or two.

Taking a cassette off requires a chain whip, a cassette lock ring tool and a spanner/allen key to fit the tool

Putting a cassette on requires just a cassette lock ring tool and a spanner/allen key to fit the tool.

It's not dificult and there's more than enough videos on YouTube and on the ParkTool website to guide you if you're at all unsure.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,532
    ^^^ this

there's a first time for everything, even the most adept were once n00bs

the tools will cost same/less than the lbs charge, and at the end of it you'll know how to do the job and still have the tools for next time

win win
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Garyh09 wrote:
    How hard would It be to change my wheels over from triban 3 wheels to shimano 501's? Is there much involved or would I be better just taking it to the lbs?

Are Shimano 501s the baggy ones or the tight ones? I seem to remember them being in the launderette advert but I'm not sure.
  • Garyh09
    Thanks for your replys guys, much appreciated ill give it a go tomorrow, I've got all the tools required I already had a set just worried that I will mess the whole lot up, schweiz thanks for your advice about having a spare set, I will get some spare skewers,cassette and maybe some better tyres for the winter that way I can just swap them over, is a cassette just a standard size for shimano? Thanks again, Gary
  • Garyh09
    Yossie, baggy I hope so there easier to get back on, lol
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    Garyh09 wrote:
    Thanks for your replys guys, much appreciated ill give it a go tomorrow, I've got all the tools required I already had a set just worried that I will mess the whole lot up, schweiz thanks for your advice about having a spare set, I will get some spare skewers,cassette and maybe some better tyres for the winter that way I can just swap them over, is a cassette just a standard size for shimano? Thanks again, Gary

Shimano and SRAM cassettes are compatible, Campagnolo cassettes won't fit on as the splines on the freehub are different. Cassettes are available in a wide range of sprocket sizes but the most common sold with a new bike is 12-25, that means that the smallest sprocket has 12 teeth and the biggest has 25. If you would like to make live easier on hills then you may consider 12-27 or if you're always on the flat, then 12-23. if you're happy with the range of ratios you have, just buy the same as you already have.