Workstand crud catcher?

shortcuts
shortcuts Posts: 366
edited June 2013 in Workshop
What do you guys put under the bike and workstand to catch the spillages etc when working on your bike?
I am thinking more specifically when cleaning, degreasing etc the chain.
Sheet of plastic, newspaper or any other recommendations?

Comments

• shortcuts wrote:
    What do you guys put under the bike and workstand to catch the spillages etc when working on your bike?
    I am thinking more specifically when cleaning, degreasing etc the chain.
    Sheet of plastic, newspaper or any other recommendations?

I do mine outside in the street or in the garden cause putting stuff underneath never works out well for me!
  • shortcuts
    So you leave the cruddy drippings to land on the lawn, patio, driveway or wherever?
    Not good practice surely?
    Doesn't it stain?
  • shortcuts wrote:
    So you leave the cruddy drippings to land on the lawn, patio, driveway or wherever?
    Not good practice surely?
    Doesn't it stain?

Basically yes - but - I don't use a chain cleaner anymore (viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12929480) just a rag with WD40 but when I did I poured the gunk out into the drain. I wash the bike down etc now on the deck or lawn and then just hose it down (runs of deck onto the grass) and its never really stained or damaged anything. I don't have an ornamental lawn though its a playground. When I used to do it in the street outside the house I worked near the drain and again rinsed away with the hose.

There have been a few marks on the deck but after a few days (rain!) they disappear.

Works for me but maybe if your more garden proud it would be too messy.
  • richiebones
    richiebones Posts: 379
    i put a big bucket under the bike (where the drive train is) and that catches all the cruddy water....
  • shortcuts
    i put a big bucket under the bike (where the drive train is) and that catches all the cruddy water....
    Thanks'.