tiredness and aching legs

alamb200
alamb200 Posts: 74
Hi,

I know this has probably been thrashed to death before but hopefully somenone can help me with some good advice.

I commute to work on my bike three days a week covering at least 15 miles each way depending on where I have to pick my kids up from (long story), I have been doing this for over a year now and I am still suffering with the same issue.

I spend my day at work sat there thinking my legs are so tired that I am not really looking forward to the ride home again never mind the ride in again the next day, some days I only do the commute twice in the week because I feel so tired.

I eat porridge with a teaspoon of honey for my breaskfast, a normal two slice sandwhich followed by a satsuma and and apple for dinner then a regular cooked family meal for my tea with the occasional snack on a night.

My friend does not think I am getting enough protein for what I do (I also like to run on a weekend and occasionally on a night) and has told me to get some protein shakes but there are so many of the things out there and the costs are high.

One of the reasons I bike is to reduce our outgoings so spending on protein shakes seems to be robbing peter to pay paul and might not actually make any difference.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks,

alamb200

Comments

• shortcuts
    shortcuts Posts: 366
    My logs ache badly too :lol:
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    how hard are you riding? Do you have big hills to climb?
    My legs were aching on Mon/Tues this week (36 miles Mon, 30 miles tues) - didn't ride in wednesday - but had a spin in the evening because my legs were so stiff - didn't ride thurs due to other commitments and had a steady ride in today - but took the direct route (10 miles).. I'll probably go home the indirect route with a bit more climbing involved. :)

If you're riding hard, then just ease up a bit - a mile an hour slower overall can make a big difference.

Other thing to do is to drink plenty of water and (I gather) a leg massage is good for aching muscles - even just by your own hands rubbing up the legs ...
  • alamb200
    The ride is pretty level and I tend to do the 14 miles in around 40 to 45 minutes.

Is that pushing it?
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    You are averaging nearly 19 miles an hour on a commute? Are there neither traffic lights nor traffic where you are? I presume you arrive at the office in a haze of sweat.
  • alamb200
    One hell of a sweat, well when it is not raining anyway :)

Only one set of lights and they prioritised my way.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    alamb200 wrote:
    My friend does not think I am getting enough protein for what I do (I also like to run on a weekend and occasionally on a night)

On the face of it, I'd agree.
  • alamb200
    Can you suggest anything cost effective that I can try?
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    chicken
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Milk, Tuna, Eggs. You probably just arent eating enough in general though.
  • bungalballs
    bungalballs Posts: 193
    Pint or so of milk and a banana after each ride (try and drink within about an hour of getting off your bike). Not overly heavy on protein, and I haven't got a clue about the science behind it, but was recommended and seems to work for me.

Also, when do you eat breakfast? I seem to struggle a lot less on my commute home if I eat my breakfast after my morning commute, once I get to the office.
  • alamb200
    I eat my breakfast at home at around 7:15am and then bike at 8am.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Cycle in first, then have your breakfast if you can.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    styxd wrote:
    Cycle in first, then have your breakfast if you can.

This ^

Protein is very important, whey isn't actually that expensive, weight for weight it's cheaper than milk...........
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    alamb200 wrote:
    One hell of a sweat, well when it is not raining anyway :)
    Mine isn't flat - it's not that hilly either - but it's only 11 miles and I do it in about 35 mins ... I can arrive in a state or I can ease up and arrive able to walk to my desk ... ;) The latter usually leaves me fresher for the ride home.
  • zardoz
    zardoz Posts: 251
    The question I would ask is how much quicker are you doing the ride today compared to a year ago? And with any endurance based excercise you can't do every ride/run/swim etc flat out otherwise you end up being fatigued most of the time. An easy ride in and a fast ride home might be a better option using the ride in as a recovery ride.

On a 14 mile 40 minute ride you are not going to deplete your stored energy levels anyway so the benefits of post ride shakes and food etc. are questionable and probably not going to make a significant difference.
  • onumnos
    onumnos Posts: 22
    On reading the OP my first thought was "protein". I would say that "most" active people need to be around 100g good quality (Meat/Fish/Eggs) protein/day as baseline. Carbs are sparing but only to a point - want to know what tiredness is, try low (as in inadequate) protein/carb...awful.

If the expense of good quality protein (hint it doesn't "have" to be lean(!)) is too much then as a previous poster suggested ease back on the effort, you'll only destroy your health otherwise.
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    are you sleeping enough?
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • alamb200
    I am not the best sleeper in the world and do wake up tired, why?
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    sleep man you know it's when the legs recover from the cycling
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • astrazen
    astrazen Posts: 29
    Cheapest whey protein is here http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutriti ... 30943.html

5kg will last you ages.
  • Hollow-legs
    Hollow-legs Posts: 142
    I would hazard a guess that you are overtraining ,,,your body needs rest ,food,sleep and time to recover.
    I always got aching legs when i started cycling and tiredness ,I now listen to my body ,,,protein will help repair muscles ,refuel them ...but i found strecthing and hot bath at night helped and sleep lots of good quality sleep!
    I commute to work every day only 8 miles in total ,but it does take it out of me ,,, I have started eating more when at work ,,, it helps ...i still get aching legs and tiredness but its when i have pushed myself too much without recovery and proper refuel or i have a cold or virus coming on.
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    Its far from overtraining so rule that one out.

Up the protein, work on your fitness and if you want to be as fresh as you can on the bike, drop some of that running your doing.
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    Sleep > protein.
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    You don't seem to be eating enough for somebody cycling to work nearly every day. That's all you would need if you didn't cycle to work. Question....Define the tired feeling you get. Do you want to sleep ? or is it a lack of energy ?
    Have you tried using a lower gear so you spin more. Are the cranks you are using the correct length for your legs ?
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    I would go see the doctor, you're cycling at a reasonable pace but 15 miles shouldn't wipe you out that much.