Belfast - Hotels?

TMR
TMR Posts: 3,986
edited June 2013 in The cake stop
I'm taking Mrs Rapper to Belfast in August to see Ben Howard in Concert. Can anyone recommend a nice hotel please?

Comments

• spoonboye
    spoonboye Posts: 5
    Days Inn and Ibis are decent Sora - they do attract stag / hen nights... There are 3 Premier Inns 105 close by, the Waring Street / Bridge St one is in the middle of the Cathedral Quarter which is a good spot, Titanic is slightly futher to stagger / taxi over the bridge - I've stayed in the Alfred St spot and got a room for the Giro next year.

Hilton and Jurys Ultegra are good and there's the Merchant Dura-Ace if you have too much money and need to get rid of it quickly.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    The Culloden is very good, on the A2 up by Holywood with views out over the lough. It's a bit out of town but if you're there for a weekend break you could do a lot worse. It has a very good restaurant too, and serves up a decent wine.
  • magoo289
    magoo289 Posts: 223
    spoonboye wrote:
    Days Inn and Ibis are decent Sora - they do attract stag / hen nights... There are 3 Premier Inns 105 close by, the Waring Street / Bridge St one is in the middle of the Cathedral Quarter which is a good spot, Titanic is slightly futher to stagger / taxi over the bridge - I've stayed in the Alfred St spot and got a room for the Giro next year.

Hilton and Jurys Ultegra are good and there's the Merchant Dura-Ace if you have too much money and need to get rid of it quickly.

This covers it, another is Malmaison, you could fall out of the hotel to the concert.
  • TMR
    Thanks guys - I'll check them out.
  • dmclite-3.0
    dmclite-3.0 Posts: 845
    BTW, if you get offered to play pass the parcel in the hotel bar, leave immediately. :D (JOKE)
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • antlaff
    antlaff Posts: 583
    Hilton in Lanyard Place is the best having stayed in most.

Merchant is a really nice hotel let done by really crap staff.
    Malmaison as per all the group is horrible and dingy
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    I travel a lot and over the past couple of years have been left disappointed so many times when booking into so called "decent hotels" and so have been using good old premier inns, safe, dependable, clean and cheap.

You know what your getting :)
    Living MY dream.
  • LiamW
    LiamW Posts: 358
    Doesn't matter where you stay mate, all the Hotels in Central Belfast are a stones throw from each other ( pardon the pun).

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF-8 ... =0CPkBEMgT

If the concert is in the Waterfront or the Odyssey then anyone will do you, all depends on your budget to be honest. Bars close at one and no drink is served in any nightclubs after that time either.

Don't get a Private Black Taxi anywhere as they're robbing Bastids, the 2 biggest local cab companies Fon a Cab or Value Cabs are cheaper. But saying that you can walk from the City Centre to either of the 2 main venues in about 20 mins max, Belfast isn't that big and bar the 'Troubles' side of it there isn't much to see to be honest.

Maybe as an outsider you'll see more that will interest you, but i see it everyday and it passes you by mainly.

If you want any advice on Hotel locations PM me and i'll be glad to help you out.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    VTech wrote:
    I travel a lot and over the past couple of years have been left disappointed so many times when booking into so called "decent hotels" and so have been using good old premier inns, safe, dependable, clean and cheap.

You know what your getting :)

Watch out for Lenny Henry though!
  • ck101
    ck101 Posts: 222
    I have stayed in Belfast many times. The Merchant is the only Hotel for a rosemantic trip like this. Rooms are top class, ask for an Art Deco room.

The bar is busy, the restaurant is spectacular, there is also a great public bar downstairs. Its in the city unlike the Culloden (very nice also) which is in the Suburbs. There is also a Christian Louboutin shop in the Merchant should you decide the Missus deserves a little treat :-)

See below
    http://www.themerchanthotel.com/index.p ... llery.html

Dont forget to check out the Chain Reaction store, worth a trip.
  • Stay somewhere in the Cathedral Quarter - it's where most of the best bars and restaurants are. So as above The Merchant is the best. Never had any problems with the staff. My Gran has booked us a suite for the night after our wedding in August. :)

Other hotels nearby in the Cathedral Quarter are the Premier Inn across the road from The Merchant and the Ramada Encore on St Anne's Square.

Loads of stuff to do in Belfast now - the new Metropolitan Arts Centre and Titanic Centre are very good.
  • Sodafarl
    Sodafarl Posts: 118
    As I haven't used any of the hotels mentioned you will find that most Belfast people will recommend these.
    There are a few more on Great Victoria Street which is also a very popular spot with Robinsons bar etc.
    You have the Europa (the most famous and the oldest) Fitzgeralds and the Hilton (I think) all of these are right beside each other.
    You will hopefully get a good hotel no matter where you pick.

Enjoy your break.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    A mate of mine stayed at the Merchant (he's stayed in a few good hotels and his missus is very fussy) and he reckoned the Merchant was one of the best he's stayed in.
  • TMR
    Ck101 wrote:
    I have stayed in Belfast many times. The Merchant is the only Hotel for a rosemantic trip like this. Rooms are top class, ask for an Art Deco room.

That's precisely what I've done! Just booked it this morning - thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply :mrgreen: