ride london stsrt times

Comments

• Splashing out ey Leesykoi

I went for the IBIS budget, London City Airport, it's just over the pond which is outside the Excel (Royal Victoria Dock I think is it's proper name), £65 for the night & £5 for breakfast - only ordered for wife, as I doubt they'll be serving at 5:00, which I guess is the latest I'll leave if I get a 6am start

Guess things will be clearer once we find out our start times, but I would expect there to be quite a few cyclists riding up from these hotels (& the general docklands/excel area where there are lots of hotels) on the morning.

One thing I was wondering was what time it get light, I'm thinking I can wing it without lights (but a hi viz jacket) at 5:30, as I don't really want to fit them to my road bike, this morning it was light enough to ride at 5:30, but we are a month further on and if the weather is murky ...
  • Leesykoi
    Leesykoi Posts: 338
    haha not at all Matt. Two nights with breakfast for two booked via Laterooms for £114 (i'm staying over on the Sunday as well), so looks like mine is the budget option !!!

It looks like your Hotel is 5mins away from mine so if you want to meet up let me know nearer the time ?

I think a hi viz gilet maybe a good idea btw :wink:
    I like shiny bikes - especially Italian ones.....!!
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    Splashing out ey Leesykoi

One thing I was wondering was what time it get light, I'm thinking I can wing it without lights (but a hi viz jacket) at 5:30, as I don't really want to fit them to my road bike, this morning it was light enough to ride at 5:30, but we are a month further on and if the weather is murky ...

I am going to be using some of those very cheep Tesco LED lights (the one with the flimsy hair bands type attachments) and I shall leave these in the transfer bag before the start.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    If anyone needs a room and can't get I booked a twin one at Westham United, it has free parking, but I have now booked a car park so think am going to cancel the room.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • cdc02254
    cdc02254 Posts: 181
    Just spoke to someone at Prudential Ride 100. Start times will be posted out early next week.

Sadly just realised I put down 8h30m for completion, should have been 6h.
  • binkybike
    binkybike Posts: 104
    yes, if you are going to do it in 6 hours. not if you are going to do it in 8:30
  • cdc02254
    It was a typo. I done the etape quicker than that last year.
  • pashda
    pashda Posts: 99
    You wont need lights or high viz at 0530 sunday morning. It will be just about light and tonnes of streetlighting anyway. Personal choice of course and if you feel safer with them it wont do any harm will it. I think the 2 or 3 miles from the car parks or local hotels will be fine.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    some of the car parks are already full so having to do park and ride now as no other choice.

Wonder what TFL will do about people taking bikes back on public transport
  • e17blade
    e17blade Posts: 215
    Just got my start time via email.... 7:10am

I wanted to be earlier than that!!

Dave
  • Jesus I just got my start time ........ 6.02!!! I'm not that bloody fast I did the lionheart in 6.25 which I admit is lumpier but wtf I'm gonna be left for dead!!
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    I've got a load time of 7:15 but a start of 7:50. Says to be there an hour before so that is a lot of waiting time to get cold in the morning.

Just have to make the best of it now
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    My start time is 06:04 which means that I will need to get up at 04:00!
  • Ed-tron
    Ed-tron Posts: 165
    Just got the start time email 7.50am. Seems quite late. :/ I'm not sure what estimated time I put. It was hard to estimate at the time as I'd just got into cycling. I'm now aiming for under 6.5 hrs, so around 16ish mph av. Leith and box hill are on my usual loop so familiar with the route.
  • bikergirl17
    bikergirl17 Posts: 344
    I know they said it was allocated based on estimated time -/ but I suspect sponsors & charity slots got earlier start times. I'm 7:14 & I put in an estimated time that was about 17 mph. Not that fast but still you gotta wonder about 2/3 of field supposedly averaging 20 ish. Guess flip side is only have to get up at 4 ish.
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    Got 7.02 start, so sounds about half way. I suspect there will be a bit of a mix of fast and slow around this point.
  • adydow
    adydow Posts: 92
    My start time is 6:58 last 100 mile ride I did took 6hrs 30 with 7000ft of climbing so should be quite a bit quicker on this route. Just hope I can get to the start in time.
    Of course its about the bike! Although having the legs helps.
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    7.56 perfect for me
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • Leesykoi
    Leesykoi Posts: 338
    Your arrival time at QEOP: 06:30
    Your personal load time is: 06:54
    Your Personal start time: 07:30

My e-mail also mentioned blue and black starts but did not specify which one i was starting from (or am i missing something) ?

I was thinking should do it in 6hr 15min'ish but currently undergoing rehab got a stage 3 tear of my posterior cruciate so aiming to fuel myself right and finish ;-)
    I like shiny bikes - especially Italian ones.....!!
  • pease
    pease Posts: 150
    7.52 for me, not particually happy to be so far back in the field. still the traffic at the hills can be my excuse for walking...

im still going to aim to be at the start shortly after 6 just incase the management isnt so good and i can get into a 16-18mph group which is the speed im expecting to achieve.

Dirtymonkey, you can grab my wheel on the way through :lol:
    Insert witty signature here
  • pease wrote:
    7.52 for me, not particually happy to be so far back in the field. still the traffic at the hills can be my excuse for walking...

im still going to aim to be at the start shortly after 6 just incase the management isnt so good and i can get into a 16-18mph group which is the speed im expecting to achieve.

Dirtymonkey, you can grab my wheel on the way through :lol:
    I'm going to have to I suspect. I can use London to Paris as training lol
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    7.58 for me - charity place and I am meant to be raising £750 so don't think that has much to do with it!
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    Your arrival time at QEOP: 05:22
    Your personal load time is: 05:46
    Your Personal start time: 06:22

Back before mid-day 8)
  • pease
    pease Posts: 150
    so those that are doing it for charity, hows the fundraising going? im only £95 off the £600 target now.
    Insert witty signature here
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    I know they said it was allocated based on estimated time -/ but I suspect sponsors & charity slots got earlier start times. I'm 7:14 & I put in an estimated time that was about 17 mph. Not that fast but still you gotta wonder about 2/3 of field supposedly averaging 20 ish. Guess flip side is only have to get up at 4 ish.

They weren't very consistent then - I put in 6 hours (16.7mph) and am starting at 6:42. Maybe a lot of people said the same time!
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • nick300zx
    nick300zx Posts: 219
    07:14 for me as well.
  • martinperry
    martinperry Posts: 127
    Est time 6.55
    Start time 7.26
    WTF??
    Are they suggesting 3/4 of the field are going to be sub 7 hours??
    Anyway, on a charity place and £1300 raised so far
    Probably time to dust off the pantomime horse costume!! :D
  • cdc02254
    Gutted, 7:32 start.

Ill be riding with a load of muppets wearing Mr Blooby suits.

There goes my sub 6h ride.
  • theotherjake
    theotherjake Posts: 237
    Your arrival time at QEOP: 05:04

Your personal load time is: 05:28

Your Personal start time: 06:04

So I have to leave home at 3:30 in the morning! madness.
  • option_click
    option_click Posts: 169
    7:48. Great. Squarely amongst the nodders and fuckwits.
    Contemplating joining the route earlier somewhere by the A12 - can't be a problem to get on the course surely.
    Couldn't care less about an official time, just don't want to get caught up as that'll ruin the ride for me.