basso laguna 105?

chris_bass
chris_bass Posts: 4,913
edited August 2013 in Road buying advice
i've been in the market for a new bike for a little while, dont really need one but you know how it is!!

came across this:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/basso-laguna-105-2013/

is it good value, i dnot really know too much about basso! i'm guessing the 2,200 rrp is inflated but for 1,200 it seems a good deal?
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    The £2k price is the real price. It may well be inflated (but that is no different to any manufacturer), but it has not been done so by Wiggle. It is therefor a genuine saving.

I have a Basso (not a Laguna) and it is very, very nice. Lovely to ride and looks amazing in the flesh (pictures do not capture its unique lines). Stiff, yet comfortable and a definite improvement on my CAAD.

You can check out Basso here
    http://www.bassobikes.com/en-UK/

Oh and it is nothing to do with Ivan before anyone tries to tell you this.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I also have a Basso (Astra) and whilst its quality shines, the most pleasing thing for me is you don't see many of them when out and about. I've seen just one on the 2012 Rutland Classic. Don't assume that because you don't see many of them they are no good. Basso are one manufacturer that do make their own frames and do not cater for the mass market. Quality rather than quantity.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    Basso make very, very nice bikes.

Name me another bike as good for £1200 quid ?????
  • I'd be tempted with the Veloce version for £1,100.
  • jotko
    jotko Posts: 457
    Rokt wrote:
    Basso make very, very nice bikes.

Name me another bike as good for £1200 quid ?????

Frame looks very nice but its not even full 105 which on a apparently £2400 bike is fairly unbelievable.
  • smidsy
    jotko wrote:
    Frame looks very nice but its not even full 105 which on a apparently £2400 bike is fairly unbelievable.

I think you rather missed the point there :?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • chris_bass
    hmmmmm, i am very tempted now, not least because my name is well suited to Basso!

i'll have another think then maybe pull the trigger!

how do the sizings come up on Basso? I have a cube in 60 (their sizes are tiny compared to others) and a 58 specialized (its probably a shade too big for me) at the moment? i think looking at the geometry a 58 would be right for me but thought i'd ask incase they came out smaller (like cube!)
  • smidsy
    They size pretty average I would say. e.g I have a 54 Cannondale and a 56 Basso, both fit me well.

On the basis that dale tend to fit big (i.e you often need a small size) that seems to stack up, so your 58 theory sounds OK if Cube fit small.

I am 5'10" with a 31 indside leg if that helps.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • StillGoing
    Basso frame sizing is from the seat tube and not the top tube. Use the chart on the Basso site to get the top tube length for the frame size. My 48 measured from the seat tube is the equivalent to a Cervelo 51 measured from the top tube.
  • smidsy
    edited June 2013
    philthy3 wrote:
    My 48 measured from the seat tube is the equivalent to a Cervelo 51 measured from the top tube.

This makes sense as the Basso is a compact frame, meaning it has a long top tube in relation to seat tube height.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • cavey76
    cavey76 Posts: 16
    Also looking at these myself just now as they seem incredible value and look pretty cool. There is little in the way of reviews around the web but what would the main differences be between the Laguna and the Loto. I assume one of a more sportive bent? Any idea which?
  • smidsy
    Basso range from entry to top for Carbon road frames is:

Lotto
    Laguna
    Astra
    Diamante

So the Lotto is their entry level carbon road frame. It also has a higher front so you are correct in that.

The Astra and Diamante are UCI approved for racing.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • chris_bass
    think i might have to go for it! just gotta bite the bullet and fork out the £1,200!! gulp!
  • please post some pics when you do!!
  • chris_bass
    will do :)

also, anyone need a kidney? i might be selling one soon!
  • StillGoing
    Don't forget that's a complete bike so although you can shop around and get a Basso Astra 2011 frame set for under a £1k subject to frame size availability, you'd still have to fork out for the components. At £1,200 for Italian carbon exotica that is a good buy.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Chris Bass wrote:
    hmmmmm, i am very tempted now, not least because my name is well suited to Basso!

i'll have another think then maybe pull the trigger!

how do the sizings come up on Basso? I have a cube in 60 (their sizes are tiny compared to others) and a 58 specialized (its probably a shade too big for me) at the moment? i think looking at the geometry a 58 would be right for me but thought i'd ask incase they came out smaller (like cube!)

I would get it just on the name association alone :lol:

Its a good bike just order it up. If you don't like it return it but once that wiggle box rocks up you will most likely be smitten as with most bikes from wiggle the photos don't do the bikes justice. Got my Cinelli Saetta from wiggle a while back at nearly half price - best decision I have ever made in cycling terms. Never really looked at "Italian" bikes before that and lets just say its nice to be different :wink:
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Oh and I would hurry up because as soon as the tour starts bike shops get busy and this will mean it will take wiggle longer to build up the bike and deliver it to you!
  • chris_bass
    Right, decided I'm going for it, but the size chart says the 56 suits 180 to 190cm and I'm about 188, whereas the 58 says 188 to 198, should I go for the 56?given I have no way of trying before I buy?
  • smidsy
    56. You are nicely in the stated range. Always best to get smaller and have more seat post anyway.

In fact I have a 56 if you want to come round and try it.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    I can't think of any better way to spend £1200, although I'd save yourself £100 and go for Veloce, it's an Italian bike don't ya know
  • chris_bass
    Going for the 58, seems nearer the size of my cube!

Just ordering it now :-)
  • smidsy
    The Head Tube is quite a bit bigger on the 58 so you may end up quite upright.

The stand over height may be an issue too.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • chris_bass
    Hmmmm, the stem is pretty long on the 58 too!

How easy is it to return if i get the wrong size?

II might go with the 56 and keep my fingers crossed
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Ermm if it was me at 188cm I'd take the 58cm. I'm shorter than 188 but always felt that my 58cm Basso was good for me.
  • StillGoing
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    I can't think of any better way to spend £1200, although I'd save yourself £100 and go for Veloce, it's an Italian bike don't ya know

Nowhere does it say that Italian bikes have to have Italian groupsets. You've gone for the best frame that suits you so naturally you buy the best groupset that suits you. SRAM, Shimano or Campag are all perfectly fine on an Italian, American, German or whatever manufactured frame. It's personal choice.

To the original poster; take the 56. A Smidsy says, the bike will look odd with very little seat post showing and look far better with more of it on show. With the shorter frame you can add a longer stem if need be, but with the larger frame, if you find you're struggling, you don't really want to be fitting a very short stem. Aesthetics are important.
  • chris_bass
    smidsy wrote:
    56. You are nicely in the stated range. Always best to get smaller and have more seat post anyway.

In fact I have a 56 if you want to come round and try it.

hi, sorry didnt notice your messafe last night. thanks for the offer, really appreciate it :-)

its ok though, i went for the 56in the end, i measured m height and it turns out i'm actually more like 186-187 cm so puts me more in the range of heights. and like you say better to be slightly smaller and have more seat post!
  • chris_bass
    philthy3 wrote:
    PeteMadoc wrote:

Nowhere does it say that Italian bikes have to have Italian groupsets. You've gone for the best frame that suits you so naturally you buy the best groupset that suits you. SRAM, Shimano or Campag are all perfectly fine on an Italian, American, German or whatever manufactured frame. It's personal choice.

To the original poster; take the 56. A Smidsy says, the bike will look odd with very little seat post showing and look far better with more of it on show. With the shorter frame you can add a longer stem if need be, but with the larger frame, if you find you're struggling, you don't really want to be fitting a very short stem. Aesthetics are important.

great minds....

i went for the 56!

just have to wait by the door for it to be delivered now, could be camped out there for about 4 or 5 days!!
  • spanner239
    spanner239 Posts: 181
    Just took a look at the close up on the wheels (picture is actually for the Loto but same wheels I believe). Check out the gaps between the spoke ends and the holes in the hub, is that normal, never seen that on any set of wheels I have owned.

IMG_9658copy_zps0a18e6f1.jpg
  • cavey76
    cavey76 Posts: 16
    Hey all, Days away from pulling thr trigger on one of these bad boys. Our office C2W scheme officially kicks in on Monday and Wiggle have confirmed they will accept our vouchers.

Question, The Loto versus the Laguna? Is there a palpable difference in the carbon frame other than geometry. I am assuming the Laguna is a more racing focused bike. Use for me will be a couple of nights during the week when i get let off the kids for 30-40 mile rides and maybe a 3-4 longer run on a Sunday. I don't ever plan to race in anger just ride for pleasure. I am a former/lapsed MTB'er with a 99' Kona Explosif sitting in the garage gather dust ( i may get back into that :-)) So previously i would have liked the longer stretched out feel of the Kona

I "think" the Loto is the more sportive type ride? But with the geometry differences being relatively fine and my usage not planned to be so hardcore would i feel a huge difference one way other the other?

Wiggle seem to quote the frams as being identical materials but the basso site itself seems to indicate the Laguna has a higher quality of carbon. I know this is all wafflebollox for a fat sh1t in his 30s wanting to get back into cycling but i want to get the best quality/value i can.

And lastly if i join British Cycling for the 12% wiggle discount will i be able to apply this along with the c2w voucher? I plan on getting a garmin 500/510 and a few other bits and bobs, probably spend circa £1400 all in so every little helps as they say.

Regards
    Cavey