Anyone used the new TRP Spyre or HY/RD brakes?

mikenetic
mikenetic Posts: 486
edited July 2013 in Road buying advice
Thinking of them as a possibility for a new winter bike build.

I'm interested in knowing what they feel like with different road levers, particularly around the amount of lever travel. I use Shimano 105 (5700 series) brifters, and I don't like that feeling of hauling the levers all the way to the bar to brake.

Information on them seems a bit scant at the moment, there are some suppliers saying that the cable mount can be set up to deal with levers that have varying cable pull ratios, but the TRP site itself doesn't cover that, neither do the installation instructions.

Comments

• Are they available in the UK yet? Last time I checked they weren't.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,168
    Should be available in september, I think... I'd like them too... :D
    left the forum March 2023
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I thought upgradebikes had the listed as July?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • ugo.santalucia
    Asprilla wrote:

Even better... :D
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Asprilla wrote:

Even better... :D

Mind, it did say May, so don't get too excited.

I've been debating whether to get the Hylex or HY/RD models on a single speed cyclocross Singular Peregrine that I've been thinking about building.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • 2oldnslow
    2oldnslow Posts: 313
    Checked with Upgrade myself seems like (fingers crossed) July and definitely definitely want the HYRD for my new Fugio
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Upgrade's dates are always optimistic and they're rubbish at answering customer enquiries - probably quicker and cheaper to get them from the US IME.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • 2oldnslow
    2oldnslow Posts: 313
    Think you read my mind Monty found the HYRD in stock on a number of well known US on line bike shops so will probably do exactly that.
  • mikenetic
    mikenetic Posts: 486
    The information on Upgrade's site about different cable mounting options to handle varying cable pull ratios is wrong, by the way.

I wrote to TRP, and they said there is only one position for cables. They said they've been getting very good results with Shimano and SRAM levers, but setting the brakes up to work well with Campag is proving difficult.
  • ugo.santalucia
    mikenetic wrote:
    The information on Upgrade's site about different cable mounting options to handle varying cable pull ratios is wrong, by the way.

I wrote to TRP, and they said there is only one position for cables. They said they've been getting very good results with Shimano and SRAM levers, but setting the brakes up to work well with Campag is proving difficult.

That saves me a lot of money then... I'll stick to BB7...
    I always found the Shimano pull ratio worse than Campagnolo, but I might be wrong