Specialized Sirrus Elite or... ?

adz740
adz740 Posts: 5
edited June 2013 in Commuting general
Hi everyone,

Sorry to ask a similar question to others :)

I've been looking to invest in a new bike for a few weeks now (C2W scheme through Evans) and I've narrowed down my choices to the Specizalized Sirrus Elite model. Are there any other models i should be looking at? I don't mind spending the extra as this is a bike I want to last me for a few years at least.

Also, is it worth the extra £100 to get the model with disc brakes?

Comments

• adz740
    FWIW as well I'm planning on using the bike more on weekends around country lanes/foot paths etc. near where i live.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Yes discs are worth it, and also consider drop bars. Something like the Secteur Disc can take fairly chunky tires for off reading when the tarmac runs out.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • adz740
    Thanks for the reply.

I tried a couple of road bikes with drop bars and really didn't get on with the position and different way of riding to be honest. I did wonder about trying a road bike with flat bars but not sure there's any point if a hybrid like the Sirrus would be a better package anyway. Just a bit unsure at the moment.
  • adz740
    What about something like this: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sco ... e-ec046556 ?

I don't really understand what the difference between the Sirrus and that would be though.
  • Ngalbrai
    Ngalbrai Posts: 279
    +1 on discs

Also dont dismiss drops, I did for years but now wouldn't go back to flat bars!

Also FWIW had a Sirrus Elite for about 5 years and was awesome, great bike, still going strong having been put out to pasture in LA for a further 5 years. My sister in law now obliterates all the god awful cruisers creaking and squeaking up and down the Strand ("I've ridden cruisers all my life, oh my god, this is so much better") - daymn right...!
  • longy
    longy Posts: 74
    I ride a 2011 Sirrus Elite and it's a great all round bike. Is it the best bike of its kind or the best value? No idea as I don't own any others but I've not regretted buying it even though I'm now eyeing up a drop bar replacement.