Rockshox Reba sl sag

jon1993
jon1993 Posts: 596
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
If I inflate the + to 120 psi I have 125mm of travel but if I inflate the - to 120 psi also the travel reduces to 110mm where it sits in balance is this normal as my newer Reba's seem to keep all 120mm travel with both inflated correctly, Thanks.
Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
Giant Faith 2 DH bike
Boardman pro 2011
Boardman team carbon 2010
Carrera kracken 2009
Specialized fsr pro 2009
Haro custom build
Cannondale custom build

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Then don't add so much for now in the lower leg.

New to you fork. Old fork. Ever serviced?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Plyphon
    Plyphon Posts: 433
    Dual air forks are a bit of a dark art.

The chambers are balanced just before the forks start to "suck in" - a lot of manuals and people will say that they are balanced when both chambers are equal pressure but due to pumps not reading small volumes of high pressure (or large(er) volumes of high pressure) the reading you get is rarely accurate on your pump.

Therefore, to keep it simple, the chambers are balanced just before the fork starts to suck in.

If you pump up the positive, then move the red o-ring on the stanchion to 1 or 2mm above the wiper seal, then pump up your negative and watch the red ring - when you see it just start to move down the chambers are balanced. Make a note of what your pump reads - chances are it isn't saying the same pressure as the positive chamber.

Then you'll get your full travel with balanced chambers.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I've found mine give a much smoother ride with enough air in the neg chamber to suck 10mm out of my available travel. So running them with 110mm of travel and they're awesome - especially over the smaller bumps
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • jon1993
    jon1993 Posts: 596
    felix.london - That is how they are currently set and for Dalby forest (very rough) Its working well for me aswell.
    Plyphon - that obviously makes sense I have a bike hut shock pump but using that as my benchmark the balance point reads 120psi + about 70psi - and it doesn't feel balanced it still bottoms out harshly.
    Nicklouise- Yes they have recently had a full service done by myself although the recommended amount of oil in the damper was a fair bit too much but im sure there as they should be.
    Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Boardman team carbon 2010
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Put more than 120pis in - try 140psi.