Brake Upgrades

jerryfudd
jerryfudd Posts: 343
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I've been thinking about replacing the stock brakes on my bike - Avid Juicy 3's I'd love a set on XT M785 but I think they are a little out of my price range at the moment can anyone make any good recommendations?

Also does anyone know what the Avid equivalent would be? if I can re-use my 160mm GS cleansweep rotors still with a view to up the front to around the 180mm mark in the future even better.

thanks

Dan

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You can use the rotors with any brakes, with the right caliper adaptors, and they are common sizes.

SLX or Deore are just about as good. Magura MT2 wortha look as are quite a bit lighter.
  • jerryfudd
    how does the Exlixir range measure up? are they an improvement over the Juicy 3's?
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    Stay away from Avid's as they suck more than a hungry vampire, Deore's can be had for approx £80 a pair.
    http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shim ... aid:516076
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • dhooper7
    dhooper7 Posts: 156
    pastey_boy wrote:
    Stay away from Avid's as they suck more than a hungry vampire
    Second that
    2011 Specialized Enduro Comp
    2014 Boardman Hybrid Comp
  • Barrelmaker
    Barrelmaker Posts: 188
    Third that. I got SLX as an upgrade to Juicy 3 and the difference is night and day!
  • dhooper7
    dhooper7 Posts: 156
    Third that. I got SLX as an upgrade to Juicy 3 and the difference is night and day!
    Still got my Elixir R SL's :(
    Wife has M596 and they make Avid's look like biscuit tins
    2011 Specialized Enduro Comp
    2014 Boardman Hybrid Comp
  • jerryfudd
    thanks all will look at the Shimano's for the weekend bike.

out of interest how are the Avid BB7's viewed? they are on my MTB commuter and seem pretty good (...oddly better than Juicy 3's actually).

Dan
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    jerryfudd wrote:
    how are the Avid BB7's viewed?

Generally regarded as the best cable brake you can get, and they will need to be adjusted more often than hydraulics.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • jerryfudd
    Giraffoto wrote:
    jerryfudd wrote:
    how are the Avid BB7's viewed?

Generally regarded as the best cable brake you can get, and they will need to be adjusted more often than hydraulics.

one last thing, if i got Deore series hydro's could i use the same rear mount bracket that im using with the Juicy's? front just mounts directly onto the fork.

Dan
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes, assuming you stay with the same size disc of course!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.