Zipp 202s plus what tubular tyres or alternatives

sherer
sherer Posts: 2,460
edited June 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi

I'm thinking of getting a pair of Zipp 202s. Know someone who rides on them and he swears by them. I ride a Trek 4.7 Madone Carbon but I am a lightweight rider so have ruled out deep section rims. Want something to reduce weight a bit more and help me on longer rides and sportives.

Am looking at the 202s but no idea what tubular tyres to get and also are there any alternatives to Zipps out there, Eastons, HEDs etc that might do the job

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Reynolds 32s or AX Lightness Premium Road 24s are better.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    For day to day riding around here I'd probably use Vittoria Pave tubs (very tempted to build another wheelset at the moment). Personally I am a little nervous of really good light tubs (Vittoria Evo's or Veloflex Carbon as examples) in the South East (just because of the flint), can't wait to take them to France though.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,804
    Grill wrote:
    Reynolds 32s or AX Lightness Premium Road 24s are better.

He likes Reynolds...but I like Zipps ;-)

You'll get a better ride out of a pair of 303's than 202's tbh. The former is only slightly heavier but less 'aero'. I spent many a night sweating over 202/303/404 and decided that the middle was the way to go as it's the ultimate all rounder.

FWIW I'm 170cm/66kg and unless I get hit by a big side wind I don't notice anything.

I use 23mm Vittoria Corsa tubs on mine. Lovely, lovely ride!
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    The Reynolds are lighter, cheaper, designed by Paul Lew, and have far superior braking. But if you want to be like everyone else and buy Zipps then go for it :P
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Personally, I couldn't quite stretch to Zipp /Enve so went for Campag Boras and have been very impressed with them. The new 35mm ones should be even closer to the 202s.

If I were spending that much though, I'd probably look at Enve 3.4s

Whatever you go for though - Veloflex Carbons are lovely!
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    i'm a bit lighter than that at 9 stone so thoughts the 202s would be a better fit me. I'm not the quickest rider and read the aero on the 303s only really comes into affect at 30mph plus which isn't a speed I hit very often
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,570
    Another worth considering is the FFWD F2R tubulars.
    ffwd-f2r-carbon-set-zoom.jpg

http://www.wiggle.com.au/fast-forward-f2r-carbon-tubular-240s-wheelset/

Super light wheelset and ride very nicely too. There's some lovely Enve ones in low profile as well.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,804
    sherer wrote:
    i'm a bit lighter than that at 9 stone so thoughts the 202s would be a better fit me. I'm not the quickest rider and read the aero on the 303s only really comes into affect at 30mph plus which isn't a speed I hit very often

That's road handling in wind direction and gusts of 30mph - not cycling speed ;-)
  • Stu517
    Stu517 Posts: 41
    In terms of tyres you wont go far wrong with Conti Tubs. I use Conti Competitions; granted they are not cheap but they are a fantastic tyre and (touch wood) really puncture resistant. I used them all winter on crap Scottish roads and they were outstanding.